Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Bashford Burmister Company

 
 
Bashford Burmister Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 31, 2003
1. Bashford Burmister Company Marker
Funded by the Historic Preservation Fund and the City of Prescott
Inscription. Coles Bashford arrived in Prescott in 1864 and was the first President of the Territorial Legislature. In 1874, Coles, his brother Levi, and son William formed a partnership with Robert Burmister. The Bashford-Burmister Company became one of the largest mercantile stores in northern Arizona, selling everything from mining supplies to fresh vegetables. Bashford advertised that his was the only store in Arizona that received goods directly from New York City. The original structure burned in the fire of 1900. This brick building, built after the fire, was enlarged and remodeled in an Art Deco style in 1929. In the 1940s, J. C. Penney replaced the Bashford-Burmister Company at this location. Renovated for use as an atrium mall in 1994, it once again serves as one of the commercial focal points of the downtown area.
 
Erected by Historic Preservation Fund and the City of Prescott.
 
Location. 34° 32.505′ N, 112° 28.21′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on Gurley Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 W. Gurley Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotel St. Michael (a few steps from this marker); Prescott
Bashford Burmister Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, June 23, 2009
2. Bashford Burmister Company Marker
(a few steps from this marker); The Palace Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Whiskey Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor (within shouting distance of this marker); Montezuma Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,062 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona.   2. submitted on , by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement