Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lee's Corps Withdrawn
Sept. 1. Lee began his march at 2 A. M. on this road which joins the McDonough-Atlanta road six miles N. E. This left Hardee’s corps -- singly & alone -- to face six Federal corps in the final battle of the Atlanta Campaign.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 31.433′ N, 84° 21.25′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 54) and Stockbridge Road (Georgia Route 138), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in the median by the railroad tracks, between North Main and North McDonough Streets, where Stockbridge Road intersects
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Johnson-Blalock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Heritage Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Diverted Attack (approx. half a mile away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Battlefield Landmark (approx. half a mile away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jonesboro.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.