Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The town was rebuilt in 1864 after being razed by Sherman’s troops on their March to the Sea. Later the area was immortalized in Margaret Mitchell’s epic, “Gone With The Wind”.
Location. 33° 31.414′ N, 84° 21.267′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 54) and Stockbridge Road (Georgia Route 138), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on North Main Street, across the railroad tracks from North McDonough Street and the intersection with Stockbridge Road. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Johnson-Blalock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee's Corps Withdrawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton County (about 400 feet away, measured in a Diverted Attack (approx. 0.4 miles away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. half a mile away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Battlefield Landmark (approx. half a mile away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jonesboro.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,355 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.