Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Frederica

 
 
Frederica Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
1. Frederica Marker
Inscription. " Frederica is situated on the Island of St. Simons, in the middle of an Indian field where our people found 30 or 40 acres cleared by them."
Francis Moore
1736
A Voyage to Georgia
The first british settlers landed here on February 18, 1736-forty years before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The town they established lay on the southern frontier of the English colonies, on land contested by Spain. James Oglethorpe, respectfully known as "General," was their leader.
Fearing invasion by land or by water, Frederica's settlers built a fort on the riverbank, and a palisaded [sic] wall and moat around the town. When the war with Spain ended in 1748, the town began to decline.
The ghost town you are about to enter was once one of Georgia's finest settlements. Today only ruins and eroded earthworks remain.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 31° 13.41′ N, 81° 23.414′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from Frederica Dr.. Click for map. At Fort Frederica. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Layout of Frederica image. Click for full size.
By National Park Srevice
2. Layout of Frederica
this marker. The Flesh Market (a few steps from this marker); The Town Wall (a few steps from this marker); Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoemaker and Soldier (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavernkeepers (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica - Huts and Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); A New House? (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Frederica (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Regarding Frederica. Wayside drawings on the exhibits are artist's
conceptions based on available information.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Frederica , NPS entry. Named for Frederick Louis, the Prince of Wales (1702-1754), Frederica was a military outpost consisting of a fort and town. (Submitted on May 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Fort Frederica. New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Frederica , Town Wall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
3. Frederica , Town Wall
The tree- covered embankment in front of you is a remnant of a mile-long earthen wall that once enclosed the town. Construction of the wall began about 1739 and probably continued for several years. The earthworks consisted of a sodden rampart 6 feet high, with a firing step on the inside and a moat on the outside. The moat was bounded by two rows of eight-foot posts called palisades. These defenses would have been difficult for enemy soldiers to cross, and none ever tried. Today the palisades are gone and the earthworks have been eroded, but remnants of the wall and moat are visible.
The fortications surrounding the town resembled those at the fort. The earth removed in digging the moat was used to build the rampart.
" The town is surrounded by a rampart with flankers, of the same thickness with that round the fort...." London Magazine 1745
Frederica 's The Flesh Market ( Butcher Shop ) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
4. Frederica 's The Flesh Market ( Butcher Shop )
Records identify this lot as the site of the "flesh market" or butcher shop. Some of the animals slaughtered here were raised on farm plots alloted to the settlers outside of the town walls. The trustees of the colony agreed to supply the settlers with rations of beef, pork, cheese, flour, and other provisions for one year. After that they were expected to raise their own livestock and crops. The butcher shop must have been a simple clapboard or thatched hut. Archeologists found no trace of a building here. The butcher probably lived on a lot directly behind this one.
The Flesh Market ( Butcher Shop ) image. Click for full size.
By Nat. Park Serv.
5. The Flesh Market ( Butcher Shop )
" In short, provisions in general are plentiful; venison, beef, pork at two pence half-penny per pound, and sometimes under. Fish extremely cheap."
William Thompson London Magazine 1747
Frederica Huts and Houses image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
6. Frederica Huts and Houses
Remains of Dr. Frederick Holzendorf's house in foreground, and a hut similar to that of John Humble
Frederica remains of other houses image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
7. Frederica remains of other houses
Frederica's Calwell House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
8. Frederica's Calwell House
Frederica 's Old Burial Ground image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
9. Frederica 's Old Burial Ground
Stone tombs as mentioned
Frederica 's Old Burial ground Stone Tombs image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
10. Frederica 's Old Burial ground Stone Tombs
Marker for home place of James E. Oglethorpe image. Click for full size.
By Stuart Warren, August 1, 2014
11. Marker for home place of James E. Oglethorpe
This is the historical marker for the homeplace of James E. Oglethorpe, the founder of the Georgia Colony. It is a short walk from Fort Frederica, but well outside the fort walls. Lat: 3112'59.77"N Lon: 8122'42.01"W ​This is the only remaining signs of the home built for James Oglethorpe. The marker is now directly across the ​street from the First African Baptist Church on Frederica Rd., in St. Simons Island, GA.
Frederica's Matthews House ruins image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
12. Frederica's Matthews House ruins
Miltitary Road through Frederica, Fort in background image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
13. Miltitary Road through Frederica, Fort in background
Fort Frederica's remains image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 10, 2009
14. Fort Frederica's remains
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   11. submitted on , by Stuart Warren of Merritt Island, Florida.   12, 13, 14. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement