Riverdale in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Riversdale
The Stier-Calvert Mansion, 1801–1807
The Stier family moved to Annapolis in 1795. There Rosalie, the Stier's younger daughter (1778-1821) met George Calvert (1768-1838), a delegate to the Maryland Legislature and grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore, the founding family of Maryland. Calvert was master of Mount Albion, a large plantation near Upper Malboro. He and Rosalie were married in the summer of 1799, spent part of their honeymoon trip at Mount Vernon, and took up residence at Mount Albion, now known as Goodwood.
In 1800, Henri Stier bought farmland near the port of Bladensburg and set about building a plantation house. Henri Stier and his wife moved into the east wing in 1802. In 1803, the Stier family, except for Rosalie, took advantage of an
In 1838, Riversdale passed to Rosalie and George Calvert's second son, Charles Benedict Calvert (1808–1863)—U.S. Congressman, progressive farmer, and principal founder of the Maryland Agricultural College, now the University of Maryland at College Park. His heirs eventually sold Riversdale and
During the next 50 years, Riversdale had a series of private owners. In the late 1940s, retired U.S. Congressman Abraham Lafferty sold the house with its remaining grounds to the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, which used Riversdale as offices until restoration began in 1988. Riversdale was reopened to the public in 1993 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997.
Erected by Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 57.64′ N, 76° 55.952′ W. Marker is in Riverdale, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Riverdale Road west of Taylor Road. Click for map. Riverdale Road is parallel to East-West Highway (State Route 410). Taylor Road has an intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Signs of War (a few steps from this marker); This Demiculverin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Riversdale Dependency (about 300 feet away); Riverdale School (about 400 feet away); Riverdale Park (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Riverdale.
More about this marker. Park at the mansion's parking lot on 48th Avenue at Oliver Street.
Also see . . .
1. Riversdale House Museum History. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
2. Riverdale Town History, 1800–1899. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
3. Riverdale Town History, 1900–1999. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
4. Riversdale Virtual Tour. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,834 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8, 9. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.