Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lewis Center in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan Carpenter

 
 
Liberty Presbyterian Church Founded in 1810 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 1, 2009
1. Liberty Presbyterian Church Founded in 1810 Marker
Inscription.
[Side A:]
LIBERTY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
FOUNDED IN 1810
The first religious society organized in Liberty Township was formed in 1810 by Elders Thomas Cellar, Josiah McKinnie, and Leonard Monroe. Cellar and McKinnie came to Delaware in 1802. In 1820, The Elders and others built Liberty Church and laid out a cemetery on land provided by Thomas Cellar. Along with the Cellar and McKinnie families, early settlers, church and community leaders are buried here. In 1855, John F. Cellar deeded the three acres on which the church was located to Liberty for one dollar. The land was to be used only for the Church, burying ground, and schoolhouse. In the 1990s, the congregation outgrew the old meeting house. A Barn Church was constructed by builder John Redding, assisted by Amish men Josie and son, Junior Miller and their crew. It was constructed in 1996 near the old Liberty Church.

[Side B:]
NATHAN CARPENTER
THE FIRST COLONIAL SETTLER
IN DELAWARE COUNTY
Nathan Carpenter was born on April 12, 1757 in Rehoboth, Massachusetts. During the Revolutionary War, he joined the Connecticut Militia as a private and fought at Bunker Hill, where he was wounded. He married Irene Reid in 1781 and in 1785 they moved to New York State. In 1800, Carpenter purchased 520 acres in
Nathan Carpenter The First Colonial Settler in Delaware County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 1, 2009
2. Nathan Carpenter The First Colonial Settler in Delaware County Marker
the Ohio Territory for $1,500. The Carpenters left New York in February 1801 and traveled to Pittsburgh, floated down the Ohio River, and used keel boats to go up the Scioto River. On May 1, 1801, he arrived at his new homestead in Liberty Township, just north of this church. Carpenter built a stone springhouse on his farm and in 1804 built the first mill in Delaware County used for sawing wood and grinding grain. He died in 1814 and is buried at Marycrest, the Carpenter family farm.
 
Erected 2007 by Liberty Presbyterian Church, Case Family Descendents, Powell-Liberty Historical Society, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 11.684′ N, 83° 3.223′ W. Marker is near Lewis Center, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Olentangy River Road (Ohio Route 315) and Home Road, on the left when traveling north on Olentangy River Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7080 Olentangy River Road, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History
Liberty Presbyterian Church and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 1, 2009
3. Liberty Presbyterian Church and Marker
(approx. 1.8 miles away); The Four Chaplains (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kingwood Memorial Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); James Kilbourne / Anson Williams (approx. 2.3 miles away); Powell WW I Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Union Land Company and the Case Family / The Olentangy River Road (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bharatiya Hindu Temple (approx. 3.2 miles away); Pioneer Radio Telescope / Big Ear Radio Telescope (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Liberty Barn Church. Website of the Liberty Presbyterian Church. Click on the "History" Link to read the history of the church and its founders. (Submitted on May 16, 2009.) 
 
Categories. AgricultureCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Industry & CommerceMilitaryNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Liberty Presbyterian Church (New Building) Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 1, 2009
4. Liberty Presbyterian Church (New Building)
Liberty Presbyterian Church Pulpit Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., 52
5. Liberty Presbyterian Church Pulpit
Liberty Presbyterian Church Interior Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 1, 2009
6. Liberty Presbyterian Church Interior
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 2,836 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement