Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
London in Middlesex County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Eldon House

 
 
Eldon House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 2, 2009
1. Eldon House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1834 by Capt. John Harris, R.N., treasurer of the London District, this is London's oldest remaining house. With his wife Amelia, daughter of Samuel Ryerse, Harris came to London after the District offices were moved here from Vittoria. For many years Eldon House was a centre of London's cultural and social life, and four generations of the Harris family dwelt in it during more than 125 years. In 1960 the family gave the house with most of its furnishings and eleven acres of land, to the City of London for a museum and park.
 
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Archives of Ontario.
 
Location. 42° 59.073′ N, 81° 15.311′ W. Marker is in London, Ontario, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Ridout Street North, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 481 Ridout Street North, London, Ontario N6A 3G2, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ridout Street Complex (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of London (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Petition of John Ewart (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Gaol and Courthouse, London, c.1843
Eldon House and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 2, 2009
2. Eldon House and Marker
(approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Middlesex Court House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Crimean War Cannons (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); London South African War Memorial (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); London Women's Monument (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in London.
 
Also see . . .  London Museum entry for the Eldon House. (Submitted on May 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,429 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement