Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Locktown in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old School Baptist Church

1819

 
 
Old School Baptist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, May 11, 2009
1. Old School Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. The Locktown Stone Church was built in 1819 by the Kingwood Baptists, placed on the National Register in 1973, purchased in 1979 by Donald B. Jones and donated to Delaware Township, and restored in 1995 by the Friends of the Locktown Church, Inc.
 
Location. 40° 29.092′ N, 74° 58.234′ W. Marker is in Locktown, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection of Locktown Sergeantsville Road and Locktown School Road, on the left when traveling north on Locktown Sergeantsville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flemington NJ 08822, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locktown Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Dr. James Pyatt (approx. 2.5 miles away); Kingwood Township Veterans Monument (approx. 2.6 miles away); Kingwood Tavern (approx. 2.8 miles away); Green Sergeant's Bridge (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Velodrome (approx. 2.9 miles away); Barbertown (approx. 3 miles away); Delaware Township Veterans (approx. 3 miles away).
 
Regarding Old School Baptist Church. Also known as Locktown Baptist Church. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 15, 1974.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Old School Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, May 11, 2009
2. Old School Baptist Church
A Few Facts About The Locktown Stone Church Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, May 11, 2009
3. A Few Facts About The Locktown Stone Church
Built in 1819 by the Old School Baptist Congregation of Hunterdon County on the site of an older log structure, the Locktown Stone Church is a fine example of Federal vernacular architecture and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The church gave the village its name, after an 1839 dispute in which more conservative members of the congregation attempted to lock reformers out of the church. The reformers responded by installing their own lock and the town was afterwards dubbed "Locktown".

Used as a place of worship until 1962, the building stood empty for two decades. In 1985 local preservationist, Donald Jones, purchased the property and a group of concerned neighbors formed "The Friends of the Locktown Stone Church". The group asked the township to acquire the property. In return the "Friends" took on the task of restoring and maintaining the historic structure. Today, Delaware Township leases the building to the "Friends" who use it for community events and make it available to groups and individuals for appropriate events. It is a popular venue for weddings. Once again, the building is a vibrant center of community life.

With help from the New Jersey Historic Trust, the Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission and the 1772 Foundation as well as funds and services donated by a core of generous individuals, the Friends have restored the magnificent fanlight windows to their original beauty, installed a new roof, insulation, a modern heating system and refurbished the former sanctuary. Repair of the windows and construction of an accurate replica of the carriage shed are the next projects.

The group sponsors an annual Chamber Music Series at the church as well as other events. The restoration and rehabilitation efforts are ongoing as well. New members and volunteers are always welcome. The suggested tax deductible annual donation is $25.00 per year and includes periodic updates and the organization's newsletter. Donations of goods, skills and services are also greatly appreciated.

To support the Friends, or to explore using ther church for an event, call (908) 782-0346.
Locktown Baptist Church Marker image, Click for more information
By Alan Edelson
4. Locktown Baptist Church Marker
Another Marker at the Old School Baptist Church
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.   4. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement