Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Zittlestown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington Monument

 
 
Washington Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
1. Washington Monument Marker
Note the miss-spelling of Boonsboro.
Inscription. Volunteer villagers of nearby Boonesboro celebrated their Independence Day July 4, 1827, by building and dedicating this first monument to the memory of George Washington.

Repaired and altered many times over a hundred years by patriotic citizens, it was finally restored to its original design in 1934-36 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).

This monument, used by the Union army during the Civil War as a signal station, and its surrounding land, was bought by the Washington County Historical Society in 1922 and presented to the State of Maryland for park development in 1934.

This massive structure was certified a "Maryland Historical Monument" in March, 1972; and a "National Historical Monument" in November, 1972.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 39° 30.026′ N, 77° 37.395′ W. Marker is near Zittlestown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Washington Monument Road. Click for map. Beside the Washington Monument, in Washington Monument State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Boonsboro MD 21713, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Washington Monument
Visitors at the Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
2. Visitors at the Monument
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryland Campaign of 1862 / The Lost Orders (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Collins (approx. 1.1 miles away); Turner's Pass Tablet T. P. 1 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Turner's Pass Tablet T. P. 2 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Turner's Pass Tablet T. P. 3 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Turner's Pass Tablet T. P. 4 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Turner's Pass Tablet T. P. 5 (approx. 1.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Monument and Park History. (Submitted on July 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Landmarks
 
Close up of the Stone Sign on the Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
3. Close up of the Stone Sign on the Monument
This monument, the first created to the memory of George Washington, with 10 acres of land was deeded to Maryland by the Washington County Historical Society and Citizens of Boonsboro, 1934. Rebuilt, 1936 to original design by Civilian Conservation Corps directed by the National Park Service and the State Department of Forestry
Stone Marking on the West Facing of the Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
4. Stone Marking on the West Facing of the Monument
Erected in Memory of Washington July 4th 1827 by the citizens of Boonsboro
Raptor Viewing at South Mountain image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
5. Raptor Viewing at South Mountain
Given the elevation and surrounding woodlands, Washington Monument State Park is one of the best locations to observe ospreys, eagles, hawks and other raptor species. A separate marker at the trail head tallies raptor sightings within the park.
View from Monument to the Southwest image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
6. View from Monument to the Southwest
On the valley floor in the distance is the Antietam Battlefield. Beyond the battlefield the Patomac River weaves around to the west. Many river crossing sites associated with the colonial, revolutionary, and Civil War eras lay within view. The National Road, which crosses South Mountain just south of the monument, passes off to the northwest to the right side of the picture.
Original Dedication Stone image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 2, 2009
7. Original Dedication Stone
This is half of the original dedication stone from 1827 - the other half is lost. It is kept in the park museum at the base of the short trail to the monument. The current monument stone (photo 4) was set in 1935 by the CCC after it restored the monument.
Original Builder Stone image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 2, 2009
8. Original Builder Stone
This is the original builder stone from 1827. It is also kept in the park museum at the base of the short trail to the monument.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,492 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   7, 8. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement