“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Baltimore Regional Trail

A House Divided

Baltimore Regional Trail - A House Divided Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 25, 2006
1. Baltimore Regional Trail - A House Divided Marker
Inscription. During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when pro-Confederate mobs attacked Massachusetts troops en route to Washington, D.C. Because of Baltimore's strategic importance, President Abraham Lincoln acted swiftly, stationing Federal troops in the city and jailing civilians suspected of disloyalty. Some area residents joined the Confederate army, but many others supported the Union. After the Emancipation Proclamation permitted African-American enlistment in 1963, U.S. Colored Troops regiments were recruited and trained in Baltimore and the vicinity. Naval vessels, such as USS Constellation, supported the Union war effort on the Chesapeake Bay and the high seas, countering the flow of contraband goods to the Confederacy. In 1863, during Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early's attack on the Washington defenses, Maj. Harry Gilmor's cavalry threatened Baltimore, burned nearby bridged, and raided supplies. Throughout the war, the city served as a hospital and prisoner-of-war assembly center. Political prisoners were detained at Fort McHenry, home of the "Star-Spangled Banner." Despite the city's divided loyalties, Baltimore remained a Union stronghold until the end of the war.
Please drive carefully as you enjoy the Baltimore Regional Civil War Trail and other Civil War Trail sites throughout Maryland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 16.054′ N, 76° 47.94′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Maryland Route 144) and Hamilton Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at the Howard County Visitors Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8267 Main Street, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Firehouse Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor's Row (within shouting distance of this marker); The Howard House Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walker-Chandler House (about 400 feet away); Sunflower Church (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ellicott City.
More about this marker. This is one of "The Chesapeake Bay" series of Maryland Civil War Trails markers.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,694 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement