Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Southern Pacific R.R. Depot

 
 
Southern Pacific R.R. Depot Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
1. Southern Pacific R.R. Depot Marker
Inscription. First located here April 28, 1876 by Central Pacific R.R. First passenger train passed through on September 25, 1877 with Leland Stanford aboard.

Historic Marker No. VI
Martinez Historical Society
July 4, 1991
 
Erected 1991 by Martinez Historical Society. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Location. 38° 1.166′ N, 122° 8.215′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Ferry Street near Marina Vista, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martinez CA 94553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Martinez Troops-In-Transit Canteen (within shouting distance of this marker); Pony Express Ferry "Carquinez" (within shouting distance of this marker); 815 Marina Vista (within shouting distance of this marker); Martinez-Benicia Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Bergamini Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martinez Train Depot (about 600 feet away); Borland Home (about 600 feet away); Contra Costa County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Martinez.
 
More about this marker. The marker is
Southern Pacific R.R. Depot - View of West Entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
2. Southern Pacific R.R. Depot - View of West Entrance
on the right side of the front (i.e. west) entrance.
 
Regarding Southern Pacific R.R. Depot. The Martinez Historical Society notes, "Site of original Central Pacific depot of 1877. Southern Pacific depot beginning in the 1880's, and Amtrak depot until the opening of the new station nearby in 2001. The locomotive across the street represents steam trains that passed through in large numbers in the 1880 - 1950 era." The location is ideal, as it would have been but a few minutes walk to the ferry terminal.
 
Also see . . .
1. Walking Tour of Martinez. The Martinez Historical Society's virtual walking tour of the city, offering information and photographs on various historical buildings. (Submitted on February 10, 2009.) 

2. Governor Leland Stanford of California. The State of California's biography for Leland Stanford, who was the 8th Governor of California and one of the primary backers of the first transcontinental railroad. (Submitted on February 10, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Southern Pacific R.R. Depot - View of North (track) and West Sides Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
3. Southern Pacific R.R. Depot - View of North (track) and West Sides
Amtrak Improvement Dedication Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
4. Amtrak Improvement Dedication Plaque
The Martinez Historic Inventory of 1982 notes that the depot had been remodeled 4 times since 1876. This plaque, dedicated in September 1983, celebrates the 5th remodel, listing the names of the the mayor and city council. This plaque is also to the right of the west entrance door.
Southern Pacific Steam Locomotive 1258 Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
5. Southern Pacific Steam Locomotive 1258
According to the Martinez Historical Society, "Southern Pacific steam locomotive number 1258 was one of 38 SP built S-12 switch engines. It was one of 6 built in SP's Los Angles shop's as LA Shop job # 8. Weighing nearly 80 tons, and operating at 200 psi steam pressure the 1258 and her sisters were the state of the art of steam efficiency at their time of conception in 1921. She spent most of her life working in the northern California area. Southern Pacific retired all of it's steam power by 1956, and the 1258 sat on the deadline track at Oakland yard waiting for the scrappers torch, when in 1959 she was donated to the City of Martinez as a museum piece...."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement