Inscription. Called for a branch of that name on which Native Americans practiced a spiritual purification ceremony. Still done today, by generating steam from heated rocks in a sacred lodge while prayers are made.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
|1. The Sweathouse Road Marker|
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
Location. 39° 26.052′ N, 76° 25.966′ W. Marker is near Kingsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Belair Road (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles from Mt. Vista Road, on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingsville MD 21087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Gunpowder Falls State Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. ¾ mile away); Saint John’s Parish (approx. 1.4 miles away); Perry Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away); “Long Calm” (approx. 2 miles away); Ishmael Day’s House (approx. 2 miles away); Union of Brother and Sisters of Ford’s Asbury Lodge No. 1 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Germantown (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kingsville.
More about this marker. “Branch” on this marker means a tributary of a larger river.
A previous marker with the same title at this location, erected by the State Roads Commission in 1937, had the following text “Called for a branch of that name on which the Indians practiced a form of ‘Turkish Bath’ by heating stones in their wigwams and pouring water on them to generate steam which they used as a curative measure.”
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,792 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |