Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinsville in Morgan County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans

War Memorial

 
 
Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
1. Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker
Inscription.
In
Honor
of
Morgan County's
Veterans
of
All Wars

 
Location. 39° 25.627′ N, 86° 25.697′ W. Marker is in Martinsville, Indiana, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Washinton Street, on the right on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martinsville IN 46151, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emmett Forest Branch (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Vories McNutt (about 300 feet away); William G. Bray (about 300 feet away); Whetzel Trace (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable EventsNotable Persons
 
Wide View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
2. Wide View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker
Long View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
3. Long View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker
Other Long View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
4. Other Long View - - Morgan County (Indiana) - Veterans Marker
West Side - - Morgan County Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
5. West Side - - Morgan County Courthouse
Cannon Behind the Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
6. Cannon Behind the Marker
The gun is a 24-pounder Flank Howitzer cast in 1846 by Cyrus Alger & Co, of Boston, Massachusetts. It bears the registry number "31" on the muzzle.
Side View - - Cannon behind Veterans Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
7. Side View - - Cannon behind Veterans Marker
The flank howitzer was often used in fortifications to guard the entrances and ditches close to the fort wall. The positions were typically on the "flank" bastions, thus the name.
Muzzle of Cannon Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
8. Muzzle of Cannon
According to the records, registry number 31 was inspected by James Wolfe Ripley in 1848. It weighed 1,462 pounds at that time. The 24-pounder had a bore diameter of 5.82 inches.
Side View - - Cannon Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
9. Side View - - Cannon
Closer View - - Cannon Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
10. Closer View - - Cannon
Side View - - 8-inch Siege Mortar Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
11. Side View - - 8-inch Siege Mortar
This model was approved in 1861. It was produced by three different manufacturers during the Civil War. Production method used the "Rodman" method of internal cooling. As such these were considered much stronger than previous mortars.
Back View - - Mortar Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
12. Back View - - Mortar
The "slot" in the back is actually part of the elevating system for the mortar. Rectangular sockets in the slot were engaged with a hand spike in order to raise or lower the mortar. Those cast early in the production cycle by Alger have three sockets. Later castings had nine. This example appears to have nine.
Other Side View - - Mortar Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
13. Other Side View - - Mortar
On top of the mortar is a lifting lug to permit movement of the piece from its base.
Muzzle of Mortar Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
14. Muzzle of Mortar
Based on the muzzle markings, this mortar was cast by Cyrus Alger & Company, Boston, Massachusetts in 1863. It weighed 1,029 pounds when inspected by Thomas J. Rodman. It bears the registry number 21. The shell in the bore appears to be a "carcass," used for projectiles loaded with incendiary materials.
North / West Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
15. North / West Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse
North / East Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
16. North / East Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse
South Side - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
17. South Side - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse
South / East Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2009
18. South / East Corner - - Morgan County (Indiana) Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,136 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement