Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Independence in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Two Canals

Anthony Wayne Parkway

 
 
Two Canals Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 3, 2009
1. Two Canals Marker
Inscription. This marker is on the trunk line of both the Miami & Erie Canal and the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal, built by Ohio, was begun on July 21, 1825 and completed in 1845. It connected the Ohio River at Cincinnati with Lake Erie at Toledo. By the time the canal reached the Maumee Valley, the Wabash & Erie had already been projected from Fort Wayne to Toledo. At Junction, some 15 miles southwest of here, the two canals joined and became one. Indiana built the Wabash & Erie Canal from Evansville on the Ohio River to Toledo on Lake Erie. It was begun on February 22, 1832, a date which honored George Washington who first had suggested the construction of canals in this region. When finished in 1856, it was 458 miles long and one of the longest canals built. By the time of the Civil War, the canals were being superseded by the swifter, more dependable railroads. Section by section, the canals were abandoned. In the early 1900ís, the colorful period of the canals came to an end.
 
Erected 1954 by Fort Defiance Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the The Miami & Erie Canal, and the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 41° 17.576′ N, 84° 17.034′ 
Two Canals Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 3, 2009
2. Two Canals Marker
Close-up view of the map on this historical marker that shows canal information and locations.
W. Marker is in Independence, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 424 and Independence Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 424. Click for map. This historical marker is located just east of Independence, Ohio along what is left of the old Wabash & Erie and Miami & Erie Canal (between the Maumee River and State Route 424). Marker is in this post office area: Independence OH 44131, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lock No. 13 & Independence Dam (here, next to this marker); Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation / The Old Kentucky Burial Grounds (approx. 1.1 miles away); Winchester's Camp #2 / Preston Island (approx. 3.3 miles away); Coohcooche (approx. 3.3 miles away); Shawnee Glen (approx. 3.4 miles away); Johnny Appleseed (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chief Pontiac (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pontiac Birthplace (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Independence.
 
More about this marker. This historical marker is situated at the location of canal lock number #13, very near the Indepenence Dam.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Two Canals Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 3, 2009
3. Two Canals Marker
View of the historical marker in the right foreground and of canal lock #13 in the left background.
Canal Lock #13 image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 3, 2009
4. Canal Lock #13
View of the south end of canal lock #13.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,184 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement