Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lebanon in Wilson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Wilson County Courthouses

 
 
Wilson County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
1. Wilson County Courthouses Marker
Inscription. The first courthouse stood on the west side of the public square. The second was located in the center of the square. In 1848 the third, designed by William Strickland, was erected on this site which was Lot No.2 (SW) of the Lebanon town lot plan of 1802. Used from 1854 until 1968, this building was replaced by a fourth when a new courthouse was built elsewhere.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 183.)
 
Location. 36° 12.45′ N, 86° 17.483′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Tennessee, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cumberland Street (U.S. 231) and West Main Street (Tennessee Route 24), on the right when traveling south on South Cumberland Street. Click for map. The marker is located on the southwest corner of the public square. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon TN 37090, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Veterans and Robert H. Hatton Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Lebanon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lebanon (about 300 feet away); Neddy Jacobs Cabin (about
Wilson County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
2. Wilson County Courthouses Marker
Looking north through the public square on Cumberland Avenue (US 231).
300 feet away); History of the Logs Used in this Cabin (about 400 feet away); Lebanon Post Office (about 600 feet away); Robert Looney Caruthers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caruthers Hall (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Lebanon.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
 
Wilson County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
3. Wilson County Courthouses Marker
In the background is the west side of the public square, where the first courthouse stood.
West Side of the Lebanon Public Square image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
4. West Side of the Lebanon Public Square
Site of the first Wilson County courthouse
Lebanon Public Square image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
5. Lebanon Public Square
Looking north from the marker at the public square, site of the second courthouse.
East Side of the Lebanon Public Square image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 25, 2009
6. East Side of the Lebanon Public Square
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement