Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Historical Marker
The first canal boat arrived in Toledo from Indiana in 1843 via the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal from Cincinnati was completed in 1845. It joined the W&E Canal near Defiance and they shared the same course along the Maumee River. The final section of the canal from Toledo’s Swan Creek Side Cut to Manhattan passed across the present courthouse square.
Toledo won the canal business and became its northern terminus when the state abandoned the Manhattan extension in 1864. The Indiana link ceased operation in 1874. Railroad competition and 1913’s severe flooding marked the end of Ohio’s canal era. From Waterville to Toledo the Anthony Wayne Trail now follows the historic route of the former canals.
Erected 1987 by Questers Towpath Chapter 770 and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, the The Miami & Erie Canal, and the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 41° 39.355′ N, 83° 32.257′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Street and Jackson Street, on the left when traveling south on Click for map. This historical marker is located on the grounds of the Lucas County Courthouse, in downtown Toledo, Ohio. Specifically it is located in the northwest corner of the grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43608, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lucas County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Toledo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. half a mile away); Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. half a mile away); Vistula Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Oliver House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Art Tatum (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Toledo.
More about this marker. This historical marker is located along what use to be the course of the canal, back when the canal continued to run north, by-passing the Swan Creek canal locks, through what would become downtown Toledo, and finally ending up at the foot of LaSalle street (where the canal reached it's northern most point and gained access to the Maumee River), in Manhattan, Ohio.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,723 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.