Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shepherdstown in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Civil War Hospital Site

R.D. Shepherds Town Hall

 
 
Civil War Hospital Site - R.D. Shepherds Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 28, 2007
1. Civil War Hospital Site - R.D. Shepherds Town Hall Marker
Inscription.
Civil War Hospital Site
R.D. Shepherds Town Hall
was used as a hospital during
the Maryland Campaign 1862
courtesy of S.H.A.F.

 
Erected by Save Historic Antietam Foundation.
 
Location. 39° 25.86′ N, 77° 48.331′ W. Marker is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of German Street (West Virginia Route 230) and North King Street (West Virginia Route 480), on the right when traveling west on German Street. Click for map. On the exterior of McMurran Hall, Shepherds College. Marker is in this post office area: Shepherdstown WV 25443, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shepherdstown (a few steps from this marker); 1862 Antietam Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Shepherd State Teachers College (a few steps from this marker); Spirit of 1775 Beeline March to Cambridge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Civil War Hospital Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Nebo Lodge No. 91 (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Heritage Trail
Marker on McMurran Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 12, 2011
2. Marker on McMurran Hall
Marker can be seen here to the left of the door to McMurran Hall at Shepherd College.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reformed Church Parsonage (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Shepherdstown.
 
More about this marker. This marker has suffered some damage, with some text paint rubbed off.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Present Day McMurran Hall image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 28, 2007
3. Present Day McMurran Hall
Formerly the town hall and county court house, the building was incomplete at the time of the Civil War. Planks were added and straw brought in to allow for caring of wounded from the Battle of Antietam. The marker is behind the left most column on the exterior wall of the building.
McMurran Hall image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 28, 2007
4. McMurran Hall
The Town Hall was later given to the Shepherd’s College in the 1870s. The college named the hall in honor Joseph McMurran, the first principal of the school.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,007 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement