Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Market House Square

Walking Tour Stop 7

 
 
Market House Square Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 20, 2009
1. Market House Square Marker
Inscription. In their 1751 plan for Carlisle, the Penn family designated a portion of the Square to be used as a market. From 1751 until 1952 a market was held on this spot.

Markets were held twice a week, and were overseen by the Clerk of the Market who was required to attend with his scales to validate the weight of goods sold.

At least three market buildings stood here over the years. A 1760s map depicts an open-air building facing High Street. It was destroyed by a violent windstorm in 1836, and a similar structure replaced it the following year.

The last Market House, a grandiose Victorian structure, was built in 1878. Market business took place on the open first floor, while the second floor housed various Borough offices. Despie a valiant preservation effort by a group of townspeople and farmers, the building was demolished in 1952, making way for the “new” Court House.
 
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
 
Location. 40° 12.07′ N, 77° 11.339′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Hanover Street (Pennsylvania Route 34) and High Street (Pennsylvania Route 74), on the right when traveling north on Hanover Street. Click for map.
Market House Square Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 20, 2009
2. Market House Square Marker
County Courthouse in background.
Marker is in front of the main entrance to the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The McClintock Riot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shelling of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland County (within shouting distance of this marker); Forbes Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); China Burma India Veteran's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Carlisle.
 
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraGovernmentNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Market House Square Marker Photograph Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., May 20, 2009
3. Market House Square Marker Photograph
View looking across the Square at the new Market House in 1878.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement