Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2006 by Georgia Historical Society and the University of Georgia. (Marker Number 29-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.35′ N, 83° 22.45′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker can be reached from East Broad Street (U.S. 78) 0 miles west of South Jackson Street. Click for map. Marker is on the North Campus of the University of Georgia, at the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abraham Baldwin (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Toombs Oak (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herty Field (about 500 feet away); Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (about 600 feet away); Old Athens Cemetery (about 600 feet away); The Red and Black (about 700 feet away); First Garden Club (about 700 feet away); University of Georgia (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Athens.
Regarding Old College. Old College was completed in 1806 after the University had been chartered in 1785. The building is a copy of Connecticut Hall at Yale University, alma mater of Abraham Baldwin, first president of the University of Georgia, and Josiah Meigs, the second. The University of Georgia was the nation's first state university.
Also see . . . The Old College Compendium. The UGA's Hargrett Library's history of the Old College: For over two hundred years Old College has been the center of campus (Submitted on November 1, 2015.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.