McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Traveling the Lincoln Highway
Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Whether by foot, on horseback, or stagecoach, early travelers faced the challenges of crossing high ridges. It isn't surprising that early automobiles struggled with the same steep grades. The graph to the right reveals the summits to the east and west of this valley. Towns, such as McConnellsburg, were welcome respites for early motorists.
The log structure at the rear of the Fulton House was built in 1770. The house itself, built in 1793, sits on a lot originally deeded from Daniel McConnell, founder of McConnellsburg. According to the 1924 Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway, the Fulton House was one of four hotels in town. In addition, “the town had 6 garages, 2 banks, 25 general businesses, and 2 newspapers.” The eastern section of the Fulton House was rebuilt after a 1944 fire gutted that part of the building. Listed in the National Register of Historic places in 1977, the building currently houses municipal offices and the Fulton County Historical Society.
Throughout its history, Fulton House has been a popular stop, hosting John and Abigail Adams,
Photo caption for the Lincoln Highway marker: In 1928, more than 3,000 of these markers were placed along the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco. The marker next to the Fulton House was relocated from Tuscarora Summit in 1992. Fewer than two dozen markers remain in Pennsylvania.
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 39° 55.94′ N, 77° 59.894′ W. Marker is in McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. Marker is on Lincoln Highway East (U.S. 30), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Lincoln Highway East, Mc Connellsburg PA 17233, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Changing Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Changing Main Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fulton County Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Fulton County (about 600 feet away); Fulton County Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Fulton County World War II, Korea, and Vietnam Memorial (about 600 feet away); Fulton County War on Terrorism Memorial (about 600 feet away); George Diven (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McConnellsburg.
Also see . . . The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor web site. (Submitted on June 3, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.