Newville in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First National Bank of Newville
The bank prospered and in March 1871 purchased this lot for $1,600. Robert M. Black of Carlisle contracted to build a bank house of three stories and basement for $9,065.14. The bank was on the first floor, and the cashier had an apartment on the second floor, with the vault in the basement. The building was enlarged in 1912 and a new steel-lined vault was installed on the first floor.
Location. 40° 10.317′ N, 77° 23.943′ W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Big Spring Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 W. Big Spring Avenue, Newville PA 17241, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newville War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); William Denning (about 800 feet away); Revolutionary War Soldiers Buried in Big Springs Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville Trolley (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Byers-Eckels House (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Presbyterian Church and Manse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laughlin Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newville.
More about this marker. Bank is now F&M Trust.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 589 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.