Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlottesville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Farm

 
 
The Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
1. The Farm Marker
Inscription. The Farm stands on a 1020-acre tract acquired by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 and later owned by Col. Nicholas Lewis, uncle of Meriwether Lewis. A building on the property likely served as headquarters for British Col. Banastre Tarleton briefly in June 1781. In 1825, Charlottesville lawyer and later University of Virginia law professor. John A. G. Davis purchased a portion of the original tract and engaged Thomas Jefferson’s workmen to design and build this house. It is considered one of the best surviving examples of Jeffersonian residential architecture. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer occupied the house as his headquarters for a brief time in 1865.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-27.)
 
Location. 38° 1.727′ N, 78° 28.167′ W. Marker is in Charlottesville, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Street and Farm Lane, on the left when traveling east on East Jefferson Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22902, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watering Fountains (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Three Notch’d Road (approx. half a mile away); Site of Old Swan Tavern
The Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
2. The Farm Marker
(approx. half a mile away); Jack Jouett’s Ride (approx. half a mile away); Historic Courthouse Square (approx. half a mile away); Monticello (approx. half a mile away); President Monroe’s Local Homes (approx. half a mile away); Albemarle Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlottesville.
 
Also see . . .  Nicholas Lewis House – Charlottesville, Virginia. “Col. Tarleton and his dragoons camped the night of June 4, 1781 in Charlottesville at ‘The Farm.’ There they imprisoned in the coalhouse one delegate who did not escape, namely Captain Daniel Boone. Tarleton and his men rode up to the house through the rose garden and exclaimed to Mrs. Lewis, ‘What a paradise!’ She retorted, ‘Then why do you disturb it!’ Mrs. Lewis was hostess to Col. Tarleton, and ever after preserved the chair (originally Meriwether’s) he had used. When they left the next morning, his soldiers took her flock of ducks. She ordered a servant to take the veteran drake to Tarleton with her compliments since it was no longer of use to her. After this episode,
The Current House at The Farm image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
3. The Current House at The Farm
This view is from Farm Lane, looking east.
she became known as ‘Capt. Moll’.” (Submitted on June 2, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,047 times since then and 160 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Nicholas Lewis House • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement