Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hopewell, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

City Point

One of the World's Busiest Seaports

 
 
City Point CWT Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, May 31, 2009
1. City Point CWT Marker
Inscription. City Point had been a port for more than 250 years before the Union army arrived. On June 15, Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant established his headquarters at City Point just eight miles behind the front lines at Petersburg. Located at the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers, City Point had been connected by a railroad to Petersburg prior to the war. The town's strategic position adjacent to a railroad bed and the rivers offered Grant easy access to points along the front as well as convenient transportation and communications with Fort Monroe and Washington D.C.

City Point became the largest logistical operation in the field during the Civil War. A large supply base was established here for the Union army fighting at Petersburg. From the waterfront Grant supplied more than 100,000 troops and 65,000 animals. Horses, mules and cattle consumed more than 600 tons of fodder daily.

As many as 150-225 vessels were seen in the rivers on the average day. Ships and barges transported food, clothing, ammunition, and other supplies from northern ports to City Point. The immense quantities of materials were unloaded at eight wharves which extended along the shoreline. Warehouses were constructed on the wharves for temporary storage of supplies. Goods were loaded into waiting trains or wagons and then carried to
City Point CWT Marker on the waterfront. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, May 31, 2009
2. City Point CWT Marker on the waterfront.
the front. The Quartermaster Department operations at City Point were instrumental in defeating General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 18.98′ N, 77° 16.412′ W. Marker is in Hopewell, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Pecan Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Water Street. Click for map. This marker is located in the Old City Point Waterfront Park. Marker is in this post office area: Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Hurricane Isabel (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Indians near City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartermaster Repair Shops (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); A Busy Port (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic City Point (about 500 feet away); One Soldier, One Family, One War (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hopewell.
 
More about this marker.
Old City Point Waterfont Park Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher
3. Old City Point Waterfont Park
Site of one half mile of wharves and route of the U.S. Military Railroad.
In the center of the panel is a period photo with the caption, "On the upper Loading Supply-Wagons from Transports for Grant's Army – City Point, 1864. Each day an average of seventy-five sailing vessels, forty steamboats, and one hundred barges brought in supplies and materials from northern ports. In one instance, a fleet of ninety vessels arrived carrying twenty-six locomotives and 275 boxcars."

On the right are two photos of the commissary wharf. The caption reads, "The essence of the City Point Depot is epitomized by barrels of supplies stacked four deep on the commissary wharf. The army requires a staggering amount of supplies. Warehouses held thirty days' rations in addition to the clothing, shoes, camp equipment, and other items needed to maintain 100,000 soldiers. City Point was the culmination of the organizational skills gained by the Quartermaster Department in four years of war. Large quantities of lumber were required to build City Point's wharves. Captain Elisha E. Camp, an assistant quartermaster, was in charge of the supply depot. He, and other assistant quartermasters, were under Brigadier General Rufus Ingalls. When completed, Captain Camp's wharf was the largest of the eight wharves, measuring 113,980 square feet and occupying 530 feet of waterfront."
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Waterfront at the foot of Pecan Ave (facing east). Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, May 31, 2009
4. Waterfront at the foot of Pecan Ave (facing east).
Old City Point Waterfront Park. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, May 31, 2009
5. Old City Point Waterfront Park.
City Point, Virginia. Army wagons and transports Photo, Click for full size
circa 1861/1869
6. City Point, Virginia. Army wagons and transports
Library of Congress [LC-B811- 2453]
[City Point, Va. Federal supplies deposited on the landing] Photo, Click for full size
July 1864
7. [City Point, Va. Federal supplies deposited on the landing]
Library of Congress [LC-B817- 7044]
[City Point, Va. African Americans unloading vessels at landing] Photo, Click for full size
circa 1865
8. [City Point, Va. African Americans unloading vessels at landing]
Library of Congress [LC-B811- 2457A]
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,140 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   5. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement