Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
near Ulmer in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mizpah Church

 
 
Mizpah Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2008
1. Mizpah Church Marker
Inscription.
Methodist Church
established by 1832.
Present 1856 house of
worship is all that
remains of pre~ Civil
War Settlement of
Buford's Bridge.

 
Erected 1992 by Mizpah Methodist Church. (Marker Number 5-3.)
 
Location. 33° 7.191′ N, 81° 10.801′ W. Marker is in near Ulmer, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is at the intersection of Burton Ferry Road (U.S. 301) and Mizpah Lane, on the right when traveling south on Burton Ferry Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ulmer SC 29849, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buford's Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Olar S.C. (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old St. Nicholas Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Battle Of Rivers’ Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.5 miles away).
 
Regarding Mizpah Church. Buford Bridge was the earliest settlement in what
Mizpah Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 6, 2008
2. Mizpah Church
Listed on the National Register.
is now Bamberg County.


National Register of Historic Places :Mizpah Methodist Church (added 2000 - Building - #00001531)
♦Also known as Mizpah United Methodist Church
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Gothic Revival
♦Area of Significance: Architecture
♦Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦Owner: Private
♦Historic Function: Religion
♦Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦Current Function: Religion
♦Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
 
Also see . . .  National Register Information on Mizpah Methodist Church. Constructed in 1856 in the village of Buford’s Bridge, Mizpah Methodist Church is the only extant building from the old Barnwell District town that flourished in the nineteenth century but had all but disappeared by the early twentieth century. (Submitted on September 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
Mizpah Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Mizpah Church
Mizpah Church Marker, in the backround is the marker that signifies site of one time Bufords Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. Mizpah Church Marker, in the backround is the marker that signifies site of one time Bufords Bridge
Site of the old town of Bufords Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 2008
5. Site of the old town of Bufords Bridge
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,529 times since then and 94 times this year. Last updated on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement