Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellefonte in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bellefonte

 
 
Bellefonte Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 23, 2009
1. Bellefonte Marker
Inscription. Laid out by James Dunlop and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for "beautiful fountain". Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania's governors.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 54.418′ N, 77° 46.993′ W. Marker is in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is on Willowbank Street (State Highway 550), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefonte PA 16823, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Match Factory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lucinda Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bellefonte Governors Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mills Brothers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anna Wagner Keichline (approx. 0.4 miles away); Andrew G. Curtin (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Bellefonte (approx. 0.4 miles away); Centre County (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Bellefonte.
 
Also see . . .  Bellefonte City History. (Submitted on June 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Bellefonte Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 23, 2009
2. Bellefonte Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement