Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Railroad to Reunion
—Antietam Campaign 1862 —
In 1883, the Shenandoah Valley Railway reached Sharpsburg, where the small frame Sharpsburg Station welcomed visitors to town. Every Memorial Day thousands of veterans and families passed through the station to attend parades and reunions. Soon, slate curbing and wide walkways flanked the road from the station to the cemetery. Norway maples, some of which still survive, were planted beside the road to shade veterans and their families.
Fire destroyed Sharpsburg Station in 1910, and the next year the Norfolk & Western Railway completed the present freight and passenger station in time for the 50th anniversary of the battle. Veterans also returned for the 75th anniversary in 1937; President Franklin D. Roosevelt attended the huge reenactment.
The station, renamed Antietam after two trains collided when engineers confused the words Sharpsburg and Shepherdstown, closed
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 27.09′ N, 77° 46.138′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Shepherdstown Pike (Maryland Route 34), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grove Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headquarters Site Gen. R.E. Lee (approx. half a mile away); First Methodist Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Grove House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Longstreet's Command (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jackson's Command (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sharpsburg Bluebirds (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
More about this marker. The marker features a drawing of the station by Annie Lemarie and a picture of the station as it looked while in operation. The caption for the latter is, The Federal government’s Antietam Battlefield Commission erected this monument in 1898. The monument is composed of eight original Parrott cannon (none of which were at the battle), set breach down on a granite block, with a pyramid of cannon balls perched atop the muzzles. The monument was disassembled in the mid-1930s, but the granite foundation remains today.
Additional keywords. Antietam Campaign 1862, N&W Railroad
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on August 3, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.