Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Morris-Jumel Mansion

Roger Morris Park, 1,524 acres

 
 
Morris-Jumel Mansion Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
1. Morris-Jumel Mansion Marker
Inscription. Manhattan’s oldest surviving house, Morris-Jumel Mansion, is a monument to colonial grandeur. Built in 1765 as a summer retreat for British colonel Roger Morris and his American wife Mary Philipse, this house is the only survivor of a number of similar country houses built by wealthy New Yorkers. Morris, the nephew of a successful English architect, was greatly influenced by the designs of the 16th-century Itallian architect Palladio. This sophisticated residence includes a monumental portico and pediment, supported by grand Tuscan columns, and a large, two-story octagonal addition in the rear, one of the first of its kind in the country.

Before Harlem Heights developed into the vibrant community it is today, this site commanded views of lower Manhattan as well as New Jersey and Westchester. With the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, Morris, a Loyalist, left for England. His home, which he called “Mount Morris,” was then occupied successively by George Washington, British Lieutenant General Sir Henry Clinton, and the Hessian commander Baron Wilhelm von Knyphausen. Washington’s use of this house as his temporary headquarters between September 14 and October 20, 1776, is well documented by his daily correspondence and official papers.

After the war, the Morris’s property was confiscated and sold by the new American
Morris-Jumel Mansion Markers Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
2. Morris-Jumel Mansion Markers
There are several markers for the Morris-Jumel Mansion at this location. The one on the left designates this house as a Registered National Historic Landmark.
government. It became Calumet Hall, a popular tavern along the Albany Post Road. In 1810 Stephen and Eliza Jumel bought the property. Madame Jumel was from an impoverished Rhode Island family. Her marriage to Stephen Jumel, a wealthy French merchant who had made his fortune in the wine trade, gave her entry to New York’s highest social circles. The Jumels spent several years in France, where they made friends in the elite circle around Napoleon’s court. They returned to the United States in 1828 to settle in the mansion. Inspired by cutting-edge French fashion, Madame Jumel bought new furniture and redecorated her home in the elegant Empire style.

One year after her husband’s death in 1832 from injuries sustained in a carriage accident, Madame Jumel married former Vice President Aaron Burr in the mansion’s front parlor. The marriage was not a success, and the couple formally divorced in 1836. The immensely wealthy Madame Jumel became increasingly eccentric as time passed and lived in the mansion until her death in 1865. The City bought the house from later owners, the Earles, in 1903. With the assistance of the Daughters of the American Revolution, it opened as a public museum the next year.

Today, Morris-Jumel Mansion and Roger Morris Park are part of the Jumel Terrace Historic District. The house features nine restored, period rooms including George Washington’s
Marker on Jumel Terrace Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
3. Marker on Jumel Terrace
office, a dining room glittering with 19th century ceramics and glass, and Eliza Jumel’s chamber with a bed that she maintained belonged to Napoleon. The third floor houses an archive and reference library. Morris-Jumel Mansion is owned by Parks & Recreation, is a member of the Historic Trust of New York City, and operated by Morris-Jumel Mansion, Inc.
 
Erected 2005 by City of New York Parks & Recreation.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 40° 50.07′ N, 73° 56.332′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Jumel Terrace and Sylvan Terrace, on the right when traveling north on Jumel Terrace. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 Jumel Terrace, New York NY 10032, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Morris-Jumel Mansion (here, next to this marker); The John T. Brush Stairway (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polo Grounds (approx. ¼ mile away); Middle Redoubt of the American Army   1776 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Main Line of Defences
Morris-Jumel Mansion - National Historic Landmark Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
4. Morris-Jumel Mansion - National Historic Landmark
Morris-Jumel Mansion
has been designated a
Registered National
Historic Landmark
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
this site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United States

U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service
1962
(approx. half a mile away); Site of Hilltop Park (approx. half a mile away); The First Line of Defence (approx. 0.7 miles away); Joseph Paul Dimaggio (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Morris-Jumel Mansion. (Submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Morris-Jumel Mansion. NYC Dept. of Parks & Recreation website. (Submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. Morris-Jumel Mansion, Edgecomb Avenue & 160th-162nd Streets, New York, New York County, NY. The Historic American Buildings Survey record for the mansion. (Submitted on September 13, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Back of the Morris-Jumel Mansion Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
5. Back of the Morris-Jumel Mansion Marker
This photo looks out from the Morris-Jumel Mansion toward Sylvan Terrace. The marker can be seen on the wrought-iron fence to the right of the gate opening.
Morris-Jumel Mansion Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
6. Morris-Jumel Mansion
This house was the headquarters of Gen. George Washington during the September 16, 1776 Battle of Harlem Heights.
North Side of the Morris-Jumel Mansion Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, October 19, 2008
7. North Side of the Morris-Jumel Mansion
The rear or north side of the Mansion is the location of the two-story octagonal addition seen here.
<i>The Jumel Mansion, Washington Heights, New York. </i> Photo, Click for full size
Photochrom postcard by the Detroit Photographic Company, 1903
8. The Jumel Mansion, Washington Heights, New York.
Note there is an historical marker visible in the photo, just to the right of the door, lthough image's resolution is too poor to make the marker legible. (Click on picture to enlarge)

Image courtesy of the Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   8. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement