Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Post Hospital

Fort George G. Meade

 

—United States Army —

 
Post Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, June 7, 2008
1. Post Hospital Marker
Inscription. When Camp Meade was established in 1917, a detachment of the Medical Department of the Army was one of the first organizations to report for duty. The original hospital occupied a large group of frame buildings in the northwest area of the camp (near the present site of Argonne Hills Housing Area), and moved twice during the 1920's, always into World War I era wooden facilities.

In June 1930, building 4411 (behind this marker) was completed, and all medical operations moved here. This was a modern hospital with four wards and enough private rooms for 100 patients. It housed an operating room, X-ray room, pathology laboratory, dental office and general laboratory. The semi-circular drive led to the ambulance entrance in the basement, which was connected to the upper floors via an electric elevator. A separate wing of the building held dormitories for the enlisted men of the Department as well as their recreation room, mess hall and kitchen.

The hospital was located in the central portion of the post. This was a departure from past practices where hospitals were located on the outskirts in order to prevent the spread of infectious disease. Occupying an irregular "T" footprint, the walls rise three stories from a raised basement, terminating with a hipped and gabled roof. On the outside, the basement and first floor
Post Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, June 7, 2008
2. Post Hospital Marker
are defined by a limestone belt course. The primary entry is marked by a flat-roofed portico that arches over the building's sunken, semi-circular access drive.

Immediately west of the hospital is building 4415, Kuhn Hall, which was constructed in 1931 as a nurses' quarters. Also constructed in 1931 was building 4413, a brick garage for storing and maintaining ambulances.

This plaque erected in 1997 by the Fort George G. Meade Museum.
 
Erected 1997 by Fort George G. Meade Museum.
 
Location. 39° 5.865′ N, 76° 44.097′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Llewellyn Avenue half a mile west of Ernie Pyle Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hodges Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); 18th Century French Mortar (approx. 0.3 miles away); Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Major General George G. Meade (approx. 0.3 miles away); 29th Infantry Division, United States Army
Kuhn Hall Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, June 7, 2008
3. Kuhn Hall
The former nurses' quarters.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of the Bulge (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Meade.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyMilitaryScience & Medicine
 
Building 4413 Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, June 7, 2008
4. Building 4413
The former ambulance garage is behind the former hospital building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement