Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Tank School and Tank Corps
Fort George G. Meade
—United States Army —
General Rockenbach remained with the Tank Corps when it returned from Europe and took up residence at the old Franklin Cantonment at Camp Meade as commander of the Tank Corps and the new created Tank School. By July 1919, 154 officers and 2,508 enlisted men were training here.
Unfortunately, due to the erroneous belief that tanks could never play more than a support role to infantry, the National Defense Act of 1920 abolished the Tank Corps. However, the Tank School remained at Camp Meade, still under the command of BG Rockenbach. Both General Of The Army (then Major) Dwight D. Eisenhower and General (then Major) George S. Patton, Jr., served on BG Rockenbach's staff. Despite the pleas of the advocates of tank warfare, the Chief of Infantry and other high-ranking Army officials remained skeptical. In 1932, this lack of support resulted in the closing of the Tank School and the transfer of a few remaining functions to the Infantry School at Fort Benning, GA. So little emphasis was placed on armored
The U.S. Army's experiment with tanks, begun in battle and developed at Camp Meade, was all but over. In a few years American interest in tanks would be revived after German Blitzkrieg's again demonstrated the effectiveness of tanks.
This plaque erected in 1996 by the Fort Meade Museum.
Erected 1996 by Fort Meade Museum.
Location. 39° 5.714′ N, 76° 43.312′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Chamberlin Avenue and 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on Chamberlin Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patton's Headquarters (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eisenhower's Quarters (about 700 feet away); 85th Medical Battalion Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); School for Bakers and Cooks (approx. ¼ mile away); The Franklin Cantonment (approx. 0.3 miles away); Post Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hodges Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Epiphany Episcopal Chapel and Church House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Meade.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education • Forts, Castles • Military • Notable Persons • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.