New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
India House / British Memorial Garden in Hanover Square
The handsome brownstone building facing Hanover Square, built in 1853, originally housed the Hanover Bank – making this a rare surviving bank building from pre-Civil War New York. Like so many banks, it was inspired by Italian Renaissance palaces – appropriately enough, since many such palaces had themselves been built for powerful Italian banking families. The building’s varied history includes service as New York’s Cotton Exchange and the offices of W.R. Grace and Company. Since 1914, it has been home to India House, a private club founded by shipping executive James A. Farrell and newspaperman Willard Straight. The club’s early members – businessmen engaged in foreign trade – chose the name “India House” to suggest the romance of exotic ports.
Hanover Square’s history as a public space dates back to the first years of the Dutch settlement. Named later for the British monarchy – the Hanoverians being the family of King George the Third, as well as the ancestors of the current Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles – Hanover Square is one of the very few such royal place names in New York not dropped after the Revolution.
British Memorial Garden
Hanover Square has been transformed into the British Memorial Garden, a
Erected by The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Location. 40° 42.274′ N, 74° 0.556′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Hanover Square and Pearl Street, on the right when traveling west on Hanover Square. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Hanover Square, New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of First Precinct Police Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Asser Levy’s Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delmonico's Building (about 300 feet away); First Printing Press in the Colony of New York (about 300 feet away); 13 South William Street (about 400 feet away); Stone Street Historic District and Colonial New York Street Plan (about 400 feet away); Vietnam War Veterans Memorial / Dutch City Hall Site (about 400 feet away); Dutch Hoog Straat (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. A photograph of India House appears on the top right side of the marker. The marker’s lower left contains a photograph of Prince Charles with the caption “The British Memorial Garden is under the royal patronage of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, who, with his wife Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall, visited the Garden on November 1, 2005, and laid the center stone for the garden pavement. Carved into the stone is the heraldic emblem of three feathers with the motto ‘Ich Dien’ (‘I serve’) a symbol of the Prince of Wales since the 14th century.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers in lower Manhattan erected by the Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Also see . . . India House Club Historical Origins. The India House Club website. (Submitted on June 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,217 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.