Oxford in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Town of Oxford, Georgia Historic Shrine of the United Methodist Church
In 1836 the Georgia Methodist Conference founded Emory College, named in honor of Bishop John Emory who had died the year before. Early in 1837. 1452 acres of land were purchased with 330 acres being set aside for the college town which was the first collegiate community of its kind in American Methodism.
The town, name Oxford in honor of the Wesley's' university, was designed by Edward Lloyd Thomas, a Methodist minister and surveyor. The original streets were all named for notable Methodists. More than 20 nineteenth century buildings and sites related to Methodism are still standing and may be seen on a walking tour. The oldest house in Oxford, the Alexander Means House, was built by a Virginian in the 1820's.
Emory College was moved to Atlanta in 1919 to become the College of Arts and Sciences of Emory University which was founded in 1915 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The junior college, established in 1929, is called Oxford College of Emory University and continues to operate on the original campus. The whole town, including Oxford College, was designated as Shrine number 16 by the General Conference in 1972.
Many prominent southern Methodists have been associated with the town and the college. Oxford was the longtime residence of Bishop James O. Andrew, whose
Oxford Historical Cemetery was a part of the original plan of the town. It is referred to as " The Westminster of Georgia Methodism". Bishops James O. Andrew, Atticus G. Haygood, and Warren A. Candler as well as eight Emory College presidents and many professors and ministers are buried here.
Erected 1972 by General Conference, The United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 33° 37.31′ N, 83° 52.052′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on Emory Street (Georgia Route 81). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford GA 30054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Oxford and Emory College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Church - 1841 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kitty's Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Capture of Covington (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,241 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?