Williamston in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williamston Municipal Center
This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston in honor of West Allen Williams.
The Williamston Hotel was built on this site and in the late 1850's, the Mammoth Hotel was built as a cost of $100,000 which was an enormous sum of money them. It was the largest building in the state at the time of its construction. Both of these structures burned in 1860 and all of Williamston's business district was laid waste except Dr. Millwee's Drug Store and an old blacksmith shop.
In 1872, Dr. Samuel Lander, a Methodist minister, founded and built the Williamston Female College on this site. The college was moved to Greenwood in 1904 and named Lander College in honor of its founder who died six month before the opening there.
The building later became the Park View Hotel. After it closed, it was converted into an elementary school in 1924. The present building was constructed as Williamston High School in 1939 by WPA labor and the other building was town down in 1940.
In 1953, Palmetto High School was built and this building became Williamston Elementary School. When Palmetto Middle School was formed in 1972,
Harold J. Mackey, Ward One; James R. Rogers, Ward Two
David Roberts, Ward Three; Wade L. Pepper, Ward Four
Frances C. Adams, Clerk & Treasurer
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 34° 37.133′ N, 82° 28.7′ W. Marker is in Williamston, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street (South Carolina Route 20) west of Minor Street. Click for map. Marker is located to the right of the municipal center's south entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 West Main Street, Williamston SC 29697, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamston Female College (within Williamston 9-11 Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Gist Rifles Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite (about 300 feet away); West Allen Williams (about 700 feet away); Williamston (about 800 feet away); Big Creek Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pelzer Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Lord, We Are Grateful" (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamston.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Williamston, SC. The Williamston Municipal Center was originally constructed by WPA labor in 1939 as Williamston High School. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Williamston, South Carolina. Williamston is a town in Anderson County, South Carolina, United States, that is adjacent to the small towns of Pelzer and West Pelzer. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Works Progress Administration (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.