Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pratt Hall

 
 
Pratt Hall Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, May 26, 2009
1. Pratt Hall Marker
Inscription.
This building constructed in 1912
is named in honor of
Dr. and Mrs. R.N. Pratt
Outstanding Teachers
at Anderson College
Dr. Pratt - 1922-1927
Mrs. Pratt - 1922-1946

 
Erected 1966.
 
Location. 34° 30.8′ N, 82° 38.3′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is located on the south side of the building, on the campus of Anderson University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Boulevard, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vandiver Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Denmark Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sullivan Music Building (about 500 feet away); Anderson College Infirmary (about 500 feet away); The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center (about 700 feet away); Abney Athletic Center (about 800 feet away); The J.E. Rouse Dormitory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer (approx. half a mile away); McGee Harness Shop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frierson School House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Anderson.
 
Also see . . .
Pratt Hall and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, May 26, 2009
2. Pratt Hall and Marker

1. Anderson University. Official website of Anderson University. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Anderson University (South Carolina). Anderson University is a private university located in Anderson, South Carolina, offering bachelors and masters degrees in approximately 50 areas of study. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

3. Anderson College Historic District. In the spring of 1910 the Anderson Chamber of Commerce inaugurated a subscription campaign to raise money to build a college for young women in Anderson. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. About Pratt Hall
This residence hall, known as the east Dormitory until 1966 when he was name in honor of Dr. and Mrs. R.N. Pratt, both early teachers at the college, is identical in appearance but a mirror image of Denmark Hall. One feature of Pratt Hall that illustrates this is that the brick interior chimney that extends from the roof is on the eastern as opposed to the western, slope of the roof. The entrance appears to have changed only slightly in that the tracery of the elliptical fanlight is missing. As with Denmark Hall, Pratt has a large original rear wing and an identical
Pratt Hall Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, May 26, 2009
3. Pratt Hall
historic addition (completed in 1918) that was funded by the South Carolina Baptist Convention to accommodate more students. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
    — Submitted June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. EducationNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement