Spencerville in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Historical Marker
After Gen. William Hull's surrender at Detroit early in the War of 1812, most of Michigan Territory came under British and Indian control. To prevent a possible invasion of Ohio, Gen. William Henry Harrison, commander of the Northwestern Army, called up the Kentucky and Ohio militia. Rather than moving troops and supplies across the Black Swamp, he chose to use the Auglaize and St. Marys rivers. In November 1812 Harrison ordered Lt. Robert Pogue of the Kentucky Mounted Militia to construct a supply depot at this site, previously an Ottawa village. Pogue, a veteran of the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794, named the post Fort Amanda after his 12-year-old daughter, Hannah Amanda.
Quickly built, Fort Amanda initially consisted of four two story blockhouses connected by 11-foot palisades, occupying an area of about 160 feet by 160 feet. Capt. Thomas Ward's company of Kentucky militia garrisoned the fort until February 1813, when Capt. Daniel Hosbrook of the Ohio militia assumed command. Under his direction the fort was enlarged to accommodate the growing quantity of supplies stored here, which included livestock, grain, munitions, and whiskey. Large rafts were constructed nearby to transport the men and materials downriver. The camp became a key debarkation point
Erected 2000 by Johnny Appleseed Metro Park District, BP Lima, Fort Amanda State Memorial, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 40.841′ N, 84° 16.078′ W. Marker is in Spencerville, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker can be reached from Ohio Route 198 0.2 miles south of Deep Cut Road. Click for map. This historical marker is located deep inside the Fort Amanda State Memorial park, affixed to the Fort Amanda Memorial Monument. To view this historical marker one must walk about 0.2 mile from the parking lot to the memorial. Marker is in this post office area: Spencerville OH 45887, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Amanda (a few steps from this marker); Site of the 86 Acre Homestead of Dye Sunderland (approx. half a mile away); Tawa Town (approx. half a mile away); "Johnny Appleseed" The Mystery Stone (approx. 3.7 miles away); White Feather's Town (approx. 3.7 miles away); Shawnee Indian Reservation / U.S. Military Reserve (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Town of Hartford (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Spencerville.
Also see . . . Fort Amanda. This web link was both published and made available by, "Fort Tours," which claims to provide the ingredients to enhance any drive to an American historical destination: battle sites and accounts as well as information on forts, monuments & museums. (Submitted on June 10, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,333 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.