Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlottesville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charlottesville

 
 
Charlottesville Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
1. Charlottesville Marker
Inscription. The site was patented by William Taylor in 1737. The town was established by law in 1762, and was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III. Burgoyne’s army, captured at Saratoga in 1777, was long quartered near here. The legislature was in session here, in June 1781, but retired westward to escape Tarleton’s raid on the town. Jefferson, who lived at Monticello, founded the University of Virginia in 1819.
 
Erected 1929 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number Q-1b.)
 
Location. 38° 1.216′ N, 78° 28.433′ W. Marker is in Charlottesville, Virginia. Marker is on Monticello Avenue (Virginia Route 20) north of Blenheim Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22902, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Three Notch’d Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); President Monroe’s Local Homes (approx. ¾ mile away); Stone Tavern and Central Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away); Watering Fountains (approx. 0.8 miles away); Monticello
Charlottesville Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
2. Charlottesville Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Old Swan Tavern (approx. 0.8 miles away); Albemarle Confederate Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlottesville.
 
Also see . . .  Charlottesville, A Brief History. “In 1850 the Louisa Railroad Company, (later the Virginia Central and later yet the Chesapeake and Ohio) was the first to arrive in Charlottesville. In 1858 the railroad connected with the Shenandoah Valley through new tunnels in the Blue Ridge Mountains, thus facilitating a major expansion in the shipment of goods and raw materials through Charlottesville. The C&O station was situated toward the southern edge of the original town grid, below Main Street. In 1863 the Southern Railroad appeared, on a roughly north-south route, crossing the previous rail line midway between downtown and the University. This rail line led to a new station, later to be called Union Station, at the point of crossing between the north-south and east-west routes.” (Submitted on June 10, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Panorama of Monticello (1772) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, February 2, 2008
3. Panorama of Monticello (1772)
The Rotunda (1826) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, October 15, 2011
4. The Rotunda (1826)
The centerpiece of the University of Virginia, it was designed by Thomas Jefferson, destroyed by a fire it was renovated by Stanford White in 1898. It was last renovated to Jefferson's design in 1976.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement