Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethany

 
 
Bethany Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, June 6, 2009
1. Bethany Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
Bethany

The community of Bethany, anchored by the Bethany Baptist Church, appears on maps after 1915. A church congregation was established before then at nearby Allistonís Grove; however, tradition holds that they disbanded after the Civil War. In 1869, two acres of land were given from the Baldwin Estate to the Bethany Baptist Church Trustees, some of whom had previously been members of Allistonís Grove. The deed for the land indicates that a school had already been established in this community, and in 1915, an educational survey of Morgan County identifies the Bethany school as, "...highly improved and beautified..." (with) "...drives and walks, flowers and vines, pavilion and play houses... playgrounds, tennis, may pole, etc.

Unlike many rural communities, Bethany did not develop on a railroad line, but was situated on a main thoroughfare between Madison and Eatonton in Shepherd's Militia District. Post office records from 1900 indicate the community was comprised of about 500 individuals. In 1897 at least five cotton fins existed in Shepherd's District; additionally, a number of large dairies were established in this area when the dairy industry began to thrive in Morgan County.

The
Bethany Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, June 6, 2009
2. Bethany Marker
small community of Zachry, also located in Shepherd's District, was located eight miles south of Bethany; it was the site of a small community of houses, a cotton gin, and a general store.

Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Bethany is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
 
Erected 2009 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 31.73′ N, 83° 25.382′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Bethany Church Road and Crawford Road, on the right when traveling north on Bethany Church Road. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Bethany Baptist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1080 Bethany Church Road, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Springfield (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fairview (approx. 2.4 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 2.9 miles away); Federal Raid (approx. 4.4 miles away); Buckhead (approx. 4.5 miles away); Advanced Education Center (approx. 5.2 miles away); Foundation to Consolidation (approx. 5.2 miles away); Joshua Hill Home (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Bethany Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
3. Bethany Marker
After the marker was erected, but prior to its dedication
Bethany Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
4. Bethany Baptist Church
Site of the marker, and center of the Bethany Community
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement