Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1902 Roundhouse Section

 
 
1902 Roundhouse Section Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
1. 1902 Roundhouse Section Marker
In the upper left is a photo of the roundhouse, as it looked in 1910. The structure formed a complete circle.
Inscription. The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad built its second roundhouse in this location in 1902. When first constructed, this building was part of a forty-six-stall roundhouse. After an extensive modernization program in 1937, only the three locomotive stalls before you remained from the earlier 1902 design.

Following modernization, the new roundhouse utilized industrial practices of the time. The new roundhouse was "not intended to be a rest room, a loafing place or club room, and there is no need to provide warmth that makes its use for such purposes practicable. The men regularly employed in engine houses are always warmly dressed and will work faster and better if the house is not too warm."
 
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
 
Location. 41° 24.439′ N, 75° 40.247′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker can be reached from Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located in the Roundhouse in Steamtown National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E.J. Lavino & Company #3 (a few steps from this marker); New Haven Trap Rock Company #43
1902 Roundhouse Section Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
2. 1902 Roundhouse Section Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Turntable (within shouting distance of this marker); Long Island Railroad #193 Rotary Snow Plow (within shouting distance of this marker); DL&W Coal Hoppers (within shouting distance of this marker); Claremont & Concord Snow Plow #60 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Boxcars (within shouting distance of this marker); 1902/1937 Roundhouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Scranton.
 
Also see . . .  Steamtown National Historic Site. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
1902 Roundhouse Section image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
3. 1902 Roundhouse Section
Extensively renovated when the park service located portions of the museum there, the 1902 Roundhouse houses several exhibits on railroading.
Roundhouse in the Museum Diorama image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
4. Roundhouse in the Museum Diorama
Locomotive Cutaway image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
5. Locomotive Cutaway
One of the many exhibits inside the museum include this cutaway locomotive showing the inner workings of the engine.
Spang, Chalfant & Company #8 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 25, 2008
6. Spang, Chalfant & Company #8
The cutaway engine's interpretive marker (indoor):
The Baldwin Locomotive Works of Eddystone, Pennsylvania, delivered this 0-6-0 switcher to Spang, Chalfant & Company of Etna, Pennsylvania, in April 1923. For thirty years Spang used the engine to switch incoming loads of iron ore to the company's blast furnaces and haul carloads of finished tubing, pipe, and steel plate to connections with the Baltimore and Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroads.

During the mid-1950s, the Duquesne Slag Company purchased the switcher. This engine then hauled slag for concrete, ballast, road building, roofing and other industrial products. For 41 years the locomotive operated in the Pittsburgh area.

In 1964 it was sold to a tourist excursion line. Two years later, the engine was determined to be worn out and was retired from service. During 1995 and 1996, the Spang, Chalfant locomotive as "sectioned" to visually display locomotive construction methods.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement