Lorton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Telegraph Line
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number E 62.)
Location. 38° 42.545′ N, 77° 11.591′ W. Marker is in Lorton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Highway (U.S. 1) and Telegraph Road and Old Colchester Road (County Route 611), on the left when traveling south on Richmond Highway. Click for map. County Route 611 changes name at this intersection from Telegraph Road to Old Colchester Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9301 Richmond Highway, Lorton VA 22079, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pohick Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Pohick Church (here, next to this marker); The Herris Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Wagener (within shouting distance of this marker); Noman Monroe Cole, Jr. (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lorton.
More about this marker. This marker was originally
Also see . . . The Washington-New Orleans Telegraph Co. Civil War Years. Scroll down to the "Early Telegraph" section of this page from the Crown Jewels of the Wire magazine for insulator collectors. (Submitted on March 25, 2006.)
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,348 times since then and 140 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.