Seymour in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
In 1650 “Nawcatock”, an Indian village. Today the river bears the name.
In 1678, “Amaugsuck”, the fishing place where the waters pour down.
From 1738, Chusetown, after Chief Chuse, a scout in the French and Indian War.
In 1803, Rimmon Falls, and land with mill and shop, were purchased by General David Humphreys, friend and aide to General Washington.
In 1805, Humphreysville, to honor the General.
In 1806, one of the first large woolen mills to be successfully operated in the United States was built near the falls by General Humphreys.
In 1850, Seymour, named after the State Governor, held its first town meeting.
The mills have long since vanished – the falls remain, a reminder of a proud past.
Erected 1978 by the Town of Seymour, the Seymour Historical Society, Inc., and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 23.531′ N, 73° 4.559′ W. Marker is in Seymour, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Derby Avenue and Broad Street (Connecticut Route 313), on the right on Derby Avenue. Click for map. Located in Broad Street Park. Marker is in this post office area: Seymour CT 06483, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Seymour Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); Seymour School Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seymour Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seymour World War I – World War II Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seymour Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seymour Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seymour Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Anna Sewell Memorial Fountain (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seymour.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 993 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.