Livermore in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Situated on the Original Route
of the Lincoln Highway
City of Livermore
Historic Preservation Site
Dedicated July 1996
The Livermore Heritage Guild
Erected 1996 by Livermore Heritage Guild.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 37° 41.443′ N, 121° 46.533′ W. Marker is in Livermore, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Pine Street near L Street. Click for map. Marker is located on the back side of the building next to the entrance door. The building is located on a triangle lot surrounded by Pine Street, L Street, and Portola Road. Marker is in this post office area: Livermore CA 94550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Livermore (within shouting distance of this marker); Livermore Southern Pacific Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bank of Italy Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse Livermore Flagpole (approx. ¾ mile away); D. F. Bernal Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mills Square Flag Pole (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livermore.
Also see . . .
1. The Lincoln Highway and Duarte’s Garage. (Submitted on June 15, 2009.)
2. The Duarte Garage and Lincoln Highway Museum. (Submitted on June 15, 2009.)
1. Information Posted in Window - See Photo #5
The Duarte Garage was built in 1915 by F. H. Duarte on the old Lincoln Highway, the first transcontinental U.S. Highway. The highway was later re-routed and this section eventually renamed Portola Avenue
The garage sold gas and associated oil products and also performed repairs. In 1923 the south half of the garage was added. This half became a automobile dealership, selling Durant, Flint and Star models. Robert Livermore Jr. was one of the salesmen in the early 1920’s.
In the early 1940’s the garage was converted into a machine shop for rebuilding machinery, particularly farming and winery equipment.
The Duarte Garage and Lincoln Highway Museum is open the 3rd Sunday of each month. The Annual Heritage Guild Dinner and Auction is held the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and is a particular favorite for people from all around. There are numerous car events during the year featuring antique autos to classic cars.
Be sure to enjoy the north end of the garage and the authentic Coca-Cola sign on the northeast corner.
For more information please call the Livermore Heritage Guild History Center (925) 449-9927, or check the web site at www.LHG.org. The History Center is located at 3rd and K Streets in downtown Livermore and is open Wednesday through Sunday.
— Submitted August 4, 2010.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.