Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lathrop in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lathrop

 
 
Lathrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 14, 2009
1. Lathrop Marker
Inscription.
Called Wilsonís Station
From 1849 until 1869

Was given the name by Leland Stanford when he moved his Central Pacific Railroad terminal here and dedicated the town to his wifeís family. In 1886, after a dispute with local citizens, Stanford moved the terminal to Tracy.
Dedicated by Manteca Historical Society
May 21, 2005

 
Erected 2005 by Manteca Historical Society.
 
Location. 37° 49.202′ N, 121° 16.547′ W. Marker is in Lathrop, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is at the intersection of East L Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on East L Street. Click for map. Marker is located inside the fence at the northeast corner of the Lathrop Skate Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 East L Street, Lathrop CA 95330, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Comet – 1846 – First Sail Launch (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Completion of Pacific Railroad (approx. 2.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Liberty Plot (approx. 4.1 miles away); French Camp (approx.
Lathrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 14, 2009
2. Lathrop Marker
4.6 miles away); Stockton Assembly Center (approx. 8.2 miles away); Moses Rogers Home (approx. 8.6 miles away); Saint Maryís Catholic Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); California Building (approx. 9.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lathrop.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lathrop History. (Submitted on June 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Sharpe Army Depot. During World War II, Lathrop became a strategic military shipping and storage area due to the proximity of the railroad. In 1942, Sharpe was officially dedicated as the Lathrop Holding and Reconsignment Point. What was once a Central California sheep ranch was transformed into a major military supply installation capable of loading 6,000 rail cars per month with supplies and equipment at its wartime peak. Often up to 450 rail cars were loaded or unloaded within 24 hours. (Submitted on June 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Lathrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 14, 2009
3. Lathrop Marker
Commercial Buildings In Lathrop image. Click for more information.
By Loc
4. Commercial Buildings In Lathrop
Sharpe Army Depot
Library of Commerce
HAER CAL,39-LATH,1-

Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement