Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Bremen in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen

 
 
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 5, 2009
1. The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Marker
Inscription. Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension until June 1845, when the packet boat Banner first navigated the almost 250 mile distance from Cincinnati to Toledo in three days. New Bremen was the northern terminus for a period while work continued northward on the Extension. Designated the Miami & Erie in 1849, it served as the primary avenue of commerce and military transport, and as a "post road" (mail route) between western Lake Erie and the Ohio River before the railroad era. The Miami & Erie remained in use until 1913, long after the canal era had passed. Along the course of the canal, New Bremen was the approximate midway point between Cincinnati and Toledo.
 
Erected 2003 by New Bremen - New Knoxville Rotary Club, the New Bremen Historic Association, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-6.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 40° 26.199′ N, 84° 22.825′ W. Marker is in New Bremen, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 5, 2009
2. The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Marker
View of historical marker in the left foreground and historic Miami & Erie Canal Lock #1 north in the distant background.
is at the intersection of West Monroe Street (Ohio Route 274) and South Washington Street (Ohio Route 66), on the right when traveling east on West Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bremen OH 45869, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowstring Girder (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Loramie Summit (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Log Church (approx. 3 miles away); Minster's Origins (approx. 3 miles away); The Crescent Theater (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Bremen.
 
More about this marker. This historical marker is located in a public park that is situated on the Miami & Erie Canal right-of-way, that is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of State Route 66 with State Route 274, in downtown New Bremen.
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
The Miami & Erie Canal and Lock #1 North image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 5, 2009
3. The Miami & Erie Canal and Lock #1 North
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,525 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement