Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Florida Sentinel Bulletin

 
 
Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2009
1. Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker
Inscription. In December, 1945, C. Blythe Andrews re-opened the doors of the Florida Sentinel newspaper at 1511 Central Avenue. The original Florida Sentinel was founded in 1919, in Jacksonville, Florida by Mr. Andrews' father, General William W. Andrews. The newspaper ceased circulation during the Great Depression.

In 1959, Mr Andrews bought the Tampa Bulletin, merging the two papers, becoming the Tampa Florida Sentinel Bulletin. With a staff of seven, consisting of his wife, Johna, two sons, C. Blythe, Jr. and W.W. (now a physician) and 3 others, the one-time weekly began publishing twice weekly.

In 1962, due to Urban Renewal, The Sentinel office was moved to its present location, 2207 East 21st Avenue. Mr Andrews remained the publisher until his health failed in 1976. His son, C. Blythe Andrews,Jr., became editor-in-chief after his fathers death on April 2, 1977.

In December 1996, Mr. Andrews Jr., turned over the reins of publisher to his daughter, S. Kay Andrews and his son C. Blythe III, became president and comptroller, Mrs. Gwendolyn Hayes was named editor.

The Sentinel has been serving the Tampa community since 1945. It is the only African American publication in Florida that prints twice weekly and owns all its own printing equipment. The Sentinel distributes throughout the U.S. through subscriptions, and
Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2009
2. Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker
has door-to-door and news rack sales in Hillsborough, Polk, and Pinellas counties.
 
Erected 2004 by The Hillsborough County Historic Advisory Council,The Tampa Historical Society, The City of Tampa.
 
Location. 27° 58.224′ N, 82° 26.055′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on 21 Avenue near Thelma Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2207 21 Avenue, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sgt. Nick Matassini (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ossuarium Memoriale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Il Cimitero Dell’Unione Italiana (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Benedict the Moor School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Our Lady of Perpetual Help (approx. 0.6 miles away); La Joven Francesa Bakery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ybor Centennial Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Historic Fire Station No. 4 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
 
Also see . . .  Florida Sentinel Bulletin. (Submitted on June 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Communications
 
Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker, seen at far right image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2009
3. Florida Sentinel Bulletin Marker, seen at far right
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,033 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement