Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sterling in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lanesville Architecture

 
 
Lanesville Architecture Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 14, 2009
1. Lanesville Architecture Marker
Inscription. The earliest parts of the Lanesville House, built in 1779, included a single room house, two stories high with a loft, what is now the east parlor with the rooms directly above on the second and third floors; the single story kitchen was a separate building. The east parlor chimney and kitchen chimney are constructed of large stones in patters of red and tan. The stones get smaller as the chimney gets taller. The top of the chimneys are constructed of bricks built on-site. The stone pattern of these chimneys was considered quite fashionable in the 1770s.

By 1800, the main house had doubled in size. There were two parlors on the first floor, two bedrooms on the second floor, and two loft rooms in the attic. The kitchen remained a separate building. Chimney styles had changed by the time the second parlor was built, just ten to twenty years after the first two chimneys. Be sure to compare patterns of all three chimneys.

In the 1870s, building activity at the Lanesville House continued with the addition of rooms to join the front parlors to the kitchen, remodeling of the parlors, and adding the front porch and double front doors. Connecting the parlors to the kitchen changed the roofline on the back of the house; this expanded the attic rooms full-sized bedrooms. Also, adding the second front door symbolized prominence in the
Diagram of the House Showing the Expansions image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 14, 2009
2. Diagram of the House Showing the Expansions
community as one parlor and entrance was for general family use, and the second set was for special guests.

In the 1880s, the kitchen of the house was expanded to two stories. Then, in the early 1900s, the kitchen was expanded slightly and the pantry, back stairs, and porches were added. In 2003, the handicapped ramp was added to allow access into the house for all visitors.
 
Location. 39° 1.067′ N, 77° 24.239′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Old Vestals Gap Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located next to the Lanesville House, on the service road to the Loudoun County Farm Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Sterling VA 20164, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lanesville Historic Area (a few steps from this marker); Lanesville House and Vestal's Gap Road (a few steps from this marker); Lanesville Outbuildings (a few steps from this marker); Lanesville Families (a few steps from this marker); Vestal's Gap Road (a few steps from this marker); The Braddock Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Vestal's Gap Road in the 1800s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guilford Signal Station (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sterling.
 
More about this marker.
Lanesville Architecture Marker next to the House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 14, 2009
3. Lanesville Architecture Marker next to the House
On the left is a Artist rendering of original house with seperate kitchen, circa 1770. On the lower left are photos of Plaster and lath detail, third floor. Lath pieces hand-split from trees growing on the property in 1779. On the right is a diagram, with color coding to indicate the construction of the house in the stages mentioned in the text.
 
Also see . . .  Vestal's Gap Road. (PDF) National Register documentation for the Old Vestal's Gap Road and Lanesville. (Submitted on June 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Lanesville House with Marker next to Chimney image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 14, 2009
4. Lanesville House with Marker next to Chimney
Looking at the back of the house.
Lanesville House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 14, 2009
5. Lanesville House
The front of the house. Note the two doors.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 978 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement