Pickens in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hagood Mill Historic Site
During most of its life, the Hagood Mill was a busy center of commerce. The Products of Industry Census records Hagood Mill as having produced 2,500 bushels of meal (140,000 pounds) and 200 bushels of flours (11,200 pounds) in the year 1870.
For many years, the Hagood Mill and store were the gathering place where locals would meet to discuss topics such as politics, crops, the weather and other local activities. For many generations, the mill and store remained a center for rural families and friends.
Occupational, Craft and Architectural Traditions
The Hagood Mill is one of the oldest known surviving gristmills still producing grain products in South Carolina.
The Mill is located on Hagood Creek, formerly known as Jennings Creek, a tributary of Twelve Mile River. The last dam site is 1,650 feet from the mill, where water from the creek was originally diverted to the mill in an earthen headrace (ditch). Today water is pumped from the creek up to the headrace. The last 80 feet of the rate is made of wood. The wooden water wheel, 20 feet in diameter and 4 feet wide, produced 22 horsepower. The wheel and the mechanical components of the mill were rebuilt in the mid-1970s using as many original parts as possible. Restoration work continued in the mid-1980s and again in
Folklore and Folkways
The Hagood Mill site if the home of Pickens County's "Upcountry Folklife Festival & Old Time Fiddlin' Convention." This celebration of music, food, traditional arts and living history takes place every September.
Additional, the third Saturday of every month the site plays host to mini-events that, in addition to the mill operations, feature a variety of music, traditional food, living history performance, traditional arts, and folklife presentations.
The musical heritage of the region, like the visual arts of the region, reflects the culture - the people, places and things - that have for generations defined "what and who we are." Ongoing programming at the Hagood Mill takes advantage of the varied traditions of the region to interpret the culture of the region as well to entertain.
The Hagood Mill with the Pickens County Museum, under the guidance of the Pickens County Cultural Commission, are actively engaged in contemporary tourism as a means of economic development for the county. One goal of this institution is to see that such development is carried out in a responsible manner and is able to entertain those with interest based in heritage, natural resource and cultural-based tourism while continuing to offer the same varieties of informative and entertaining programming for the local populace.
Hagood Mill will be a significant Upcountry destination for heritage and folklife tourism. The success of the site as a revenue-producing attraction will provide benefits to the educational programming of the Pickens County Museum System as well as the School District of Pickens County, supporting the teaching of South Carolina History. The numerous pre-historic petroglyphs at this site will be part of the new "Petroglyph and Pictograph Interpretive Center." that will be in important resource to teach about the pre-historic cultures that abounded the Upcountry and are represented by the numerous works of rock art, carvings and case painting discovered throughout the foothills of this region.
The diversity of cultural-based programming at Hagood Mill is designed to appeal to a wide
The Old Mill Race Nature Trail partially followed the flow of the original millrace. General trail cutting and brush clearing has taken place, and several rest areas have been built. Plants and trees have been identified for upcoming signage and a sturdy covered footbridge crossing Hagood Branch is completed. Future developments along the trail is intended to reflect the native Cherokee culture. All identification of local flora will feature the Cherokee name along with the Native American uses for that plant. Additionally, plans for the trail include a pre-contact homesite, complete with a Cherokee winter home, summer home, simple sweat lodge and a Cherokee garden.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 55.567′ N, 82° 43.317′ W. Marker is in Pickens, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Hagood Mill Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hagood Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Murphree-Hollingsworth Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Soapstone Boulder (within shouting distance of this marker); Moorefield Memorial Highway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pickens (approx. 3 miles away); William M. Hagood (approx. 3 miles away); Hagood-Mauldin House (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named The Hagood-Mauldin House (approx. 3 miles away); Andrew Pickens (approx. 3 miles away); Elihu Griffin (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pickens.
Also see . . .
1. Hagood Mill. Hagood Mill is a good example of the simple, functional building style employed by South Carolina upcountry pioneers in the first half of the nineteenth century. (Submitted on June 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Pickens County Cultural Commission. Monitors operation of Pickens County Museum of Art and History and the Hagood Mill historic site as public, nonprofit (Submitted on June 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Hagood Mill. The Hagood Mill site may have been originally owned by William Jennings around 1773. (Submitted on June 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Benjamin Hagood Family Newsletter, Volume I, Issue 2. Issue includes a transcript of Rebecca Hagood's will as well as other key documents in the family's history. (Submitted on June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Benjamin Hagood Family Newsletter, Volume I, Issue 3. Includes information regarding Adaline Ambler, Benjamin Hagood's second wife. (Submitted on June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Benjamin Hagood Family Newsletter, Volume II, Issue 2. Includes information on the dismantling of Pickens Mill, founded by Benjamin Hagood's grandson, William Milliken Hagood. (Submitted on June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. The Hagood Family - Pickens County, SC. The Hagood family figures prominently in the history of Pickens County, SC. (Submitted on June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
8. Westphalia Waltz Played at Hagood Mill. (Submitted on June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About the Hagood Mill Historic Site
This unpretentious industrial building made of hand-hewn logs is a good example of the simple, functional building style employed by South Carolina up country pioneers in the first half of the 19th Century. The mill, a good example of vernacular building and remaining as originally constructed with no alternations or additions, is one of the few such mills still in existence in South Carolina today.
Hagood Mill was building by James E. Hagood who served as clerk of court for Pickens District for many years. The property remained in the hands of his descendants until 1971 when it was deeded to the Pickens County Museum Commission. In addition, the commission is purchasing adjoining property and will lease the entire tract to the Pendleton District Historical and Recreational Commission for restoration and development.
Exterior: Built in 1826, Hagood Mill is an unpainted, clapboard building mounted on fieldstone foundation. The first floor front
Second level of facade features an off-center doorway located directly above left window of first floor. On either side of doorway is a window with vertical plank shutters. Identical side facades have two first floor windows and a larger second level window located directly above the solid bay window between first floor windows.
Rear facade's main feature of the massive water wheel which was the mill's sole source of power.
Interior: Early construction methods are evident in hand-hewn logs which are notched and pegged together to form the framework. All interior will equipment remains intact and will be restored by the Pickens County Museum Commission (owners of mill since 1971) in conjunction with the Pendleton District Historical and Recreational Commission.
Surroundings: The stream which flows by Hagood Mill is scenic and unspoiled. This hilly area with its abundant vegetation will be a beautiful site for the proposed development of an eight-acre park adjoining the restored mill.
Commercial and Industrial Significance: Hagood Mill was once part of an early commercial district including
Social/Humanitarian Significance: Social interaction was limited in this rural environment, this the mill became a meeting place for the farmers of the area and a forum for the exchange of political, agricultural and religious philosophies. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted June 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. The Historic Hagood Mill: A National Historic Site Near Pickens, SC
Hagood Mill History
Recent discoveries indicate that the Hagood Mill historic site has been a gathering place for people for a thousand years or more. Archaeological investigations and excavations have revealed a significant find, not one for Pickens County, but for
From Pre-history to the Native Cherokee up to the earliest European settlers of the Carolina Upcountry, this unique site has attracted human kind as a site to gather, to converse, to conduct business and now, due to the significant development of the site as a major Upcountry tourist destination, to be entertained and educated.
The earliest suspected use of the site by non-Natives is reflected in that the property may have been owned by William Jennings, with a smaller gristmill, around 1793. Benjamin Hagood purchased the property in 1823. The gristmill, as it stands today, was built by his son, James Hagood, around 1845. At this time, the town of Pickens was located 14 miles west of its present location, then on the banks of the Keowee River, about a mile from the current site of Duke Power's Keowee Nuclear Station. In 1868, after the Pickens District was split into Pickens and Oconee Counties, the town of Pickens was relocated to its current site, which is 3.2 miles south of the Hagood Mill.
Following a list of Hagood family heirs, the mill site was eventually conveyed, in 1958, to J. Hagood Bruce. The gristmill continued to operate commercially until 1966. The Hagood
The Mill is located on Hagood Creek, formerly known as Jennings Creek, a tributary of Twelve Mile River. The last dam site is 1,650 feet from the mill, where water from the creek was originally diverted to the mill in an earthen headrace (ditch). Today water is pumped from the creek up to the headrace. The last 80 feet of the rate is made of wood. The wooden water wheel, 20 feet in diameter and 4 feet wide, produced 22 horsepower. The wheel and the mechanical components of the mill were rebuilt in the mid-1970s using as many original parts as possible. Restoration work continued in the mid-1980s and again in the mid-1990s. The ring gear is 18 feet in diameter and the two granite millstones weigh approximately 1,600 pounds each.
During most of its life, the Hagood Mill was a busy center of commerce. The Products of Industry Census records Hagood Mill as having produced 2,500 bushels of meal (140,000 pounds) and 200 bushels of flours (11,200 pounds) in the year 1870. 120,00 ponds of meal and 20,000 pounds of feed were produced in 1880.
Today at the Mill...:
Ongoing development at the Mill site includes a variety of ventures. The last several years have witnessed the construction of a contemporary log structure to serve as a visitor's center; the relocation and restoration of the 1791 Murphree-Hollingsworth Log Cabin and the circa 1850 Hagood Family Cabin; building of the Old Bear Forge and the Old Mill Moonshine Still; the redesign and development of the Old Mill Barn Displays and the development of the Mill Run Nature Trail, featuring along the trail a pre-contact Cherokee homesite.
The county's last WPA era steel ridge, the 64' Prater's Creek Bridge, was relocated to the back of the property for restoration and placement over the creek, allowing for the continued expansion and development of the site.
Projects scheduled for the near future include continued development of the site as a Nature & Heritage Preserve, with continued development of the nature trail as
Perhaps one of the most exciting projects targeted for the near future does include the recent discovery of the pre-historic rock carvings. Because of the significance of this discovery, along with the admirable work of the South Carolina Institute Archaeology and Anthropology, the petroglyphs will be protected, preserved and presented in the soon to be constructed South Carolina Rock Art Interpretive Center, featuring not only the unique carvings at what we unofficially call "the Mill Man Site", but also highlighting the outstanding work and historical significance of SCIAA's South Carolina Rock art Survey.
— Submitted June 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
3. Hagood Mill, Pickens
Benjamin Hagood was an enterprising miller who sought to capitalize on the traffic generated by the gristmill he built in 1825. On the same site he also operated a tannery and a general store. rebuilt in 1845, the mill stands as good evidence of the workmanship that went into the two-story clapboard structure, with its heavy beams held in place by wooden pegs. The mill was active for more than 100 years; old-timers in the area recall that
A descendant of Ben Hagood's donated the mill to Pickens County in 1972, and it was completely restored. Situated beside a narrow creek spanned by a wooden footbridge, in a quiet setting of oaks and mountain laurel, the mill is very photogenic. The huge wheel is still turned by water brought down from a mountain spring in a wooden sluice. On special occasions the sluice is opened, the wheel begins to turn, and with a great rumbling racket of wooden cogs and gears, the mill again confirms the ingenuity of its builders.
Open the third Sat. of every month. Group tours by arrangement. (864) 898-3963. (Source: Off the Beaten Path: A Travel Guide to More Than 1,000 Scenic and Interesting Places Still Uncrowded and Inviting by the Editors of Reader's Digest (2003), pg 298.)
— Submitted June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
4. Pickens County Upcountry Folklife Festival & Ole Time Fiddlin' Convention
Held in September on the 3rd Saturday at the historic Hagood Mill. This is an even greater celebration of "milling, music and memories" which is held the 3rd Saturday of every month during the year. Enjoy live music, crafters, mill tours and demonstrations.
— Submitted June 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,045 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 15. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 16, 17, 18, 19. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 20, 21, 22, 23. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.