“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chase City in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Confederate Grain


—Wilson-Kautz Raid —

Christiansville CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
1. Christiansville CWT Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side Rail Road and the Richmond and Danville Rail Road, Gen. U1ysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. After being repulsed at Staunton River Bridge on June 25, the raiders reached Christiansville (present-day Chase City) about noon on June 26. Parties of Federals, now fatigued, disorganized, and low on discipline, took farm animals and personal property from area homes. Near here about 300 of C.S. Gen. Rufus Barringer’s cavalry brigade, tasked to harass the Federals, struck Wilson’s rear guard.

“We found a large quantity of grain … belonging to the Confederate Government; of course we took whatever we needed for our horses.” - Quartermaster Sgt. Roger Hannaford, 2nd Ohio Cavalry

“The rear of my brigade were attacked by small parties of rebels about 5 P.M. But were successfully repulsed.” - Col. Samuel Spear, Commander, 2nd Brigade, Kautz's Division

After the Civil War, emigrants from the North and elsewhere poured into the South, and many Ohioans and Englishmen came to Christiansville. As the town grew, the aldermen decided to change its name to Chase City, honoring the prominent Ohioan
North Marshall Street (facing south). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
2. North Marshall Street (facing south).
Salmon P. Chase (Jan. 13, 1808-May 7, 1873), chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. When Chase visited Richmond in 1873, on April 10 a town delegation called on him and he graciously approved the change. The new name pleased both the old residents, who had always referred to the town as “The City,” and the new arrivals, for honoring Chase.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 48.113′ N, 78° 27.491′ W. Marker is in Chase City, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Marshall Street and East 4th Street, on the left when traveling south on North Marshall Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chase City VA 23924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sgt. Earle D. Gregory (approx. ¼ mile away); Thyne Institute (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Thyne Institute (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lunenburg County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 4.5 miles away); Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County
N Marshall St & E 4th St image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
3. N Marshall St & E 4th St
(approx. 6 miles away); Mount Horeb Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Paul Carrington (approx. 8.3 miles away); Roanoke Plantation (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chase City.
More about this marker. On the lower right is a sketch of a “U.S. Army foraging expedition”. On the lower right is a portrait of “Col. Samuel Spear”. The sidebar contains a photo of “U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase, ca. 1873”.
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Wilson-Kautz Raid. (Submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement