“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chase City in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Mount Horeb Church

Confederate “enraged birds”


—Wilson-Kautz Raid —

Mount Horeb Church CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
1. Mount Horeb Church CWT Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. Following the Union defeat at Staunton River Bridge on June 25, the raiders raced for the safety of the Federal lines at Petersburg, harried all the way by Confederate cavalrymen. One such skirmish occurred here, when about 300 men from Gen. Rufus Barringer’s North Carolina Brigade struck the rear of the column to keep the pressure on the Federal force. Meanwhile, Gen. Robert E. Lee directed combined Confederate cavalry, infantry, and artillery to set a trap for the raiders in the vicinity of Ream's Station.

Mount Horeb Baptist Church began in 1855 with a group of men meeting under a large oak tree. In 1858, a small weatherboarded frame church was dedicated. A new building was built in 1890 and another in 1914 – a sketch of the original Mount Horeb Baptist Church, by C.P. Johnson.

“The column moved out, and the party that went to find a vehicle [for several wounded men] were soon driven in by the enemy, and the project was abandoned.” - Trooper Isaac Gause, Co. E, 2nd Ohio Cavalry

“The rear of my
Old Cox Road (facing east). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
2. Old Cox Road (facing east).
brigade (First District of Columbia Cavalry) were attacked by small parties of rebels about 5 P.M., but were successfully repulsed.”
- Col. Samuel Spear, Commander, Second Brigade, Kautz's Division

“[The Confederates] could not strike hard, but it was like the blows of enraged birds on the hawk. They were demoralizing and driving. And driving the enemy right into the ruin prepared for them, when they expected peace and rest.” - Pvt. Paul B. Means, Co. F, 5th North Carolina Cavalry
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 48.075′ N, 78° 18.947′ W. Marker is near Chase City, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is on Old Cox Road 0.1 miles east of Meadows Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chase City VA 23924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lunenburg County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Christiansville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Sgt. Earle D. Gregory (approx. 8 miles away); Thyne Institute (approx. 8.6 miles away); a different marker also named Thyne Institute (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Boyd Tavern (approx. 9.8 miles away); Boydton and Petersburg Plank Road (approx. 9.9 miles away); Boydton Presbyterian Church (approx. 10 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chase City.
Regarding Mount Horeb Church. In the center sidebar is "a sketch of the original Mount Horeb Baptist Church, by C.P. Johnson." On the lower right are porttraits of "Col. Samuel Spear" and "Gen. Rufus Barringer"
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Wilson-Kautz Raid. (Submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,085 times since then and 114 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement