Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Holden House / The Shipman House
408 Front Street
The house was built for Joseph Holden, born in Massachusetts, in Dec. of 1767. It was later owned by William Holden, and his son, James.
The house retains the rectangular shape, minimal ornamentation, 12 inch walls and 12 foot ceilings - a fine example of Greek Revival architecture.
Present owners make use of all 4 floors and have retained the Victorian atmosphere, reminiscent of the times.
404 Front Street
Before the house was completed, The Rev. Mr. Bingham received a call to a pastorate in Cincinnati, forcing him to sell his house to his brother-in-law, Samuel Shipman.
The house, of Greek Revival architecture, remained in the Shipman family until 1930.
and are listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Location. 39° 25.023′ N, 81° 27.51′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404-408 Front Street, Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Buckley House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meigs House (about 500 feet away); Memorial to the "Start Westward of the United States" (about 500 feet away); General Arthur St. Clair (about 500 feet away); Muskingum Park (about 600 feet away); Pratt-McGirr House (about 600 feet away); First Congregational Church (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.