Near Aragon in Polk County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
McPherson’s March to Dallas
Keeping W. of Euharlee Creek, the troops continued S.W. to a creek crossing at (the present) Aragon, in Polk County.
These troops (right wing of Sherman’s army) [US], were moving to Dallas, in Paulding County, to out-flank Johnston’s army [CS] at Allatoona.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 115-1B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 4.628′ N, 85° 2.185′ W. Marker was near Aragon, Georgia, in Polk County. Marker was at the intersection of Taylorsville Road and Sewell Road, on the left on Taylorsville Road. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Aragon GA 30104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Davis & Dodge at Peek’s Spring (approx. 2.5 miles away); Logan’s 15th Corps at Swaintown Taylorsville High School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Van Wert Polk County (approx. 6 miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 7.1 miles away); Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847 (approx. 7.5 miles away); Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 7.5 miles away); Black Pioneers Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Aragon.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.