“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Ruffner Plaza Stables

Ruffner Plaza Stables Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 1, 2003
1. Ruffner Plaza Stables Marker
Inscription. The Ruffner Plaza Stables were built on this lot purchased from Frank Murphy for $3,600. In May 1898, a local newspaper reported that it was "one of the most substantial as well as ornamental improvements which has been put up for several years. It is said to be one of the handsomest buildings of the kind in the Southwest and far ahead of any similar structure in Arizona." In February 1922, Ruffner sold the business to Dixon Fagerbert, who remodeled the building into a modern garage. The building later burned.

Owner, George Ruffner (marked with an X on the photograph) was described as "a man of honest and respectable industry". He came to the Territory in 1881 and worked as a cowboy and teamster. In 1888, Ruffner was one of the organizers of Prescott's World's Oldest Rodeo and he carried the American flag in every Fourth of July parade until his death in 1933 at the age of 71. In 1893 he was appointed a Deputy Sheriff of Yavapai County and the following year was elected Sheriff. He served five non-contiguous terms and was the first person from Arizona inducted into the Hall of Great Westerners in the Cowboy Hall of Fame
Erected 2003 by City of Prescott and Ruffner descendants at the Ruffner family renunion in June 2003.
Ruffner Plaza Stables Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 1, 2003
2. Ruffner Plaza Stables Marker
34° 32.391′ N, 112° 28.193′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on West Goodwin Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 176 Goodwin Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Jail and Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fire of 1900 (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montezuma Street (about 400 feet away); Site of Howey's Hall (about 400 feet away); Hotel Vendome (about 400 feet away); The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
Regarding Ruffner Plaza Stables. This market is at an empty lot at the southeast corner of W. Goodwin and S. Montazuma Streets. It is in the same block as the post office and across the street from the back of the courthouse.
Also see . . .  Circa 1880 Photo of Plaza Stables. From the Archive Photo Album of the Sharlot Hall Museum. (Submitted on June 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PersonsNotable Places
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement